Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

eMachine Experience?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

eMachine Experience?

Old 11-18-04, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eMachine Experience?

If the rumors are correct, Best Buy is going to have crazy crazy low prices on eMachines with monitors on Black Friday. It's a whole lot cheaper than buying the parts and building, so I'm considering picking one up. Does anyone have any experience with eMachines? I'm not expecting a whole lot for the price, but at this point, anything would be better than this &^$(*&@# Dell laptop I have.
Old 11-18-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk God

its crap

but at that price its a disposable computer
Old 11-18-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As usual, you get what you paid for.

My parents have an emachine, it is a celeron. It is very slow (due to the celeron processor) but after 3 years none of the internal parts have broken. It has served them well using 28.8k dial up for email/internet/im... in fact that crappy connection is more a limting factor than the cheap ass computer.

I would wager a bet that is as "good" a quailty as any of the other sub $500-400 entry level computers... if you are going to use it for the internet, IM, word, excel, etc you shouldnt have any problems.... if you are interested in gaming, photoshop, video editing, i would look elsewhere.

www.bf2004.net
Old 11-18-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have an emachine that is approx 5 years old it has served me very well. I would not hesitate to purchase another one although they are a lower end machine (performance wise) and the support is also lower end.

As a previous poster put it: good for internet, quicken, taxes, word, excel, basic music/dvd players. Any more performance intensive applications like gaming or video editing wont work real well although after some minor upgrades (add ram, new video card, new HDD) I have down both on my emachine sucessfully.
Old 11-18-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How crazy cheap?
Old 11-18-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They don't come with great power supplies (although few uber-cheap PCs do). As said, for moderate use with normal apps, they are fine for the money.

I've have a T1742 that I have been using as a FreeBSD box for about 2 years and it has been very reliable.
Old 11-18-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Cusm
How crazy cheap?
check the bf link posted above

of course.. most of those listings are still speculative

the B&M vendors like to jerk us around with black friday and give us the real sale prices in either the thanksgiving newspaper, or the sunday before thanksgiving paper

either way..its safe to assume a sub $200 computer (with monitor) will not be difficult to find on bf.
Old 11-20-04, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by twikoff

either way..its safe to assume a sub $200 computer (with monitor) will not be difficult to find on bf.
remember by it on thursday, return with flyer/receipt on friday to pricematch at 10am - no 6 am shopping for me!
Old 11-21-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by jasonr114
remember by it on thursday, return with flyer/receipt on friday to pricematch at 10am - no 6 am shopping for me!

good luck with this
i havent ever heard of a store that would pricematch their time limited black friday prices
although i guess as long as you show up during the timespan that the price is up, it could work
Old 11-21-04, 09:47 AM

That is the idea... you would have to take it back whenever the window is... to the original store with receipt, i have yet to do this, but that seems to work according to the FW crowd.

I know that circuit city has a price drop policy for there own items, i got them to give $20 back 3 months after the price dropped on Onkyo receiver...

But, i guess it is "sketcy" at best, and if there is something that i really, really, really want... i may go in to om/od/staples at 6am...
Old 11-21-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
I have had this eMachine for over a year now. Granted they were crap when they first appeared but supposedly they have gotten much better and that's why I bought this one. It has been by far the best computer I have ever owned, much better than the Compaq I had before. I have not had even the hint of any trouble with it. I don't do gaming or anything else fancy and it serves all my needs.

On that basis I bought one for my workplace and it too has been stellar.
Old 11-24-04, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even the cheapest eMachine HAS to be better than my current computer, right? All I do is use it for the internet/email/IM but it's like 5-6 years old, was like a 175 MHz, my sound went south somehow, it's slow as all hell and infested with God-knows-what after 2 years w/o virus protection.

So a cheap eMachine has to be an upgrade from this, right?
Old 11-24-04, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Trelach24
Even the cheapest eMachine HAS to be better than my current computer, right? All I do is use it for the internet/email/IM but it's like 5-6 years old, was like a 175 MHz, my sound went south somehow, it's slow as all hell and infested with God-knows-what after 2 years w/o virus protection.
Yes. Please upgrade. Connecting to th Internet with a system like that is irresponsible.