Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Possible to send text message to cell phones over the net for free?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-15-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have started to use text messaging with my friends more frequently. AT&T (my carrier) allows me to send free text messages via the web to other AT&T users... Does anyone know of a site that allows a person to send text messages to a cell phone regardless of carrier?
Old 11-15-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you could go directly to each carrier's website and send the text from there, or use this:

http://mobile.yahoo.com/sms/sendsms
Old 11-15-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MitzEclipse
you could go directly to each carrier's website and send the text from there, or use this:

http://mobile.yahoo.com/sms/sendsms
wow.. that was quick... thank you... ideally i would like to be able to send the message with my cell phone # (and have the user reply to my cell phone ) rather than email, but this definitely works well... thank you
Old 11-15-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we had thread about this a few weeks ago. You can also set up MSN messenger to send text messages to cell phones.
Old 11-15-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

AIM can do it as well, adding Mobile numbers to your buddy list. Very handy.
Old 11-15-04, 04:36 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
I think we had thread about this a few weeks ago. You can also set up MSN messenger to send text messages to cell phones.
Actually, you can set up MSN Messenger to RECEIVE text messages. I'm not aware of a method to send text messages to people who did not set up their MSN for receiving.

With the Yahoo! Mobile link, you can send text messages to anyone using the common carriers (AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, Virgin, Nextel, etc.). It's also possible to send text messages outside those common carriers, and also even if you don't know which carrier they are using.
Old 11-15-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by j123vt_99
wow.. that was quick... thank you... ideally i would like to be able to send the message with my cell phone # (and have the user reply to my cell phone ) rather than email, but this definitely works well... thank you
Sure , you're welcome. Lots of people help me on this board, so I try to help as much as I can...

What you're trying to do - i believe there is no way to do that.

You can, however, send a text from the web, and have them reply from their phone to go straight to your EMAIL not your PHONE.

You can setup AIM, ICQ, MSN, and YAHOO to all access via SMS, each is carrier dependent.
Old 11-15-04, 04:41 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by MitzEclipse
Sure , you're welcome. Lots of people help me on this board, so I try to help as much as I can...

What you're trying to do - i believe there is no way to do that.

You can, however, send a text from the web, and have them reply from their phone to go straight to your EMAIL not your PHONE.

You can setup AIM, ICQ, MSN, and YAHOO to all access via SMS, each is carrier dependent.
Here are direct links to the text messaging centers. With the first four, you can enter your mobile number so that when they reply, the reply will be sent to your mobile phone.

AT&T Wireless
Cingular Wireless
Sprint PCS
Verizon Wireless

Nextel
T-Mobile
Old 11-17-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
What I would like to be able to do is send SMS or text messages from my phone (ATT/Cingular) to relatives' phones in India. For some reason, nobody can explain to me how to do this.

SPY
Old 11-18-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by namja
Actually, you can set up MSN Messenger to RECEIVE text messages. I'm not aware of a method to send text messages to people who did not set up their MSN for receiving.

With the Yahoo! Mobile link, you can send text messages to anyone using the common carriers (AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, Virgin, Nextel, etc.). It's also possible to send text messages outside those common carriers, and also even if you don't know which carrier they are using.
Old 11-18-04, 06:43 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Say your friend John has a cell phone capable of receiving text messages. The only way to send him a text message via MSN Messenger is if (1) John uses MSN Messenger and (2) he setup his MSN Messenger to receive text message. You can't send text messages to just anyone via MSN Messenger; the recipient must have set up the text messaging service in order for you to send text messages. The choice of receiving text messages lie with the recipient.

With the Yahoo Mobile link or the links I provided, you can send text messages to anyone as long as you know their cell phone number. The recipient has no choice in receiving the text messages. If you send it, then their phone will receive it (barring technical difficulties).
Old 11-18-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

our monitoring systems send emails to my cellphone all the time

i think with tmobile.. its just [email protected] or something like that