Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Wireless doesn't work after sleep mode

Old 08-24-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wireless doesn't work after sleep mode

I'm having an annoying problem with my wireless internet with my laptop. If i close my laptop for period of time (seems to be anything over an hour) when i open it the inernet no longer works. Even though after it opens a bubble opens in the bottom -right saying i'm connected with a good connection. I then have to reboot to use inernet/email. This doesn't happen if i close it for just a short period if time. I'm using xp pro and d-link hardware for the wireless. Anyone know what i could do to fix this?

thanks
jason
Old 08-24-04, 12:35 PM
Banned

Look for updated drivers for the network card. If the card gets powered down, it has to be reinitialized to make that connection work again.

Another thing to try when it won't work is to open the Network Connections folder, disable that connection, and then reenable it. See if that works.
Old 08-24-04, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On my W2K laptop I have to use D-Link's wireless software to connect, and get the same problem you do after sleep/hibernation. I hit the Rescan button in the D-Link software console and it will reconnect without having to reboot. Not sure if you're using the WinXP Wireless Zero for connecting, but the above mentioned tip of diabling/reenabling the network connection should have the same effect.

I believe I read on a forum somewhere that the new software version fixes the bug, but I haven't gotten around to downloading it yet. I'm using a D-Link DWL-650 Super-G card.

Last edited by matome; 08-24-04 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-24-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Otto
Look for updated drivers for the network card. If the card gets powered down, it has to be reinitialized to make that connection work again.

Another thing to try when it won't work is to open the Network Connections folder, disable that connection, and then reenable it. See if that works.
Or do a repair.
Old 08-25-04, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the suggestions. i updated the drivers and will see if that helps. If not i'll try the other things.

jason