Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

is there a data only Blackberry plan availabe?

Old 08-21-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

is there a data only Blackberry plan availabe?

Hi! I have a Sanyo 8200 (through Sprint) that I love, but kinda want a Blackberry (or similar device) for wireless email and occasional net access. I don't want to give up my cell phone, since I take it everywhere (and would only take the Blackberry occasionally). Is there a provider that offers a data-only (no voice) Blackberry plan for 20-30 a month? thanks!
Old 08-21-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure what they have for non corporate customers, but we get data only plans on BlackBerries at work from Cingular. I know we utilize TMobile as well, but I'm not sure if we get data only plans from them or not, but I believe we do. I think we pay about $40 a month and change for unlimited data plans. We have our own BlackBerry Enterprise Server and use that to integrate to our Corporate Email, so I'm not sure if you use the cell carrier's email, etc if there are extra charges or not.
Old 08-22-04, 01:25 AM

After testing several systems, I'm not sure why Blackberry is so popular, given its price. I guess because it's easy to sell the market leader to management. I tried out one call Goodlink that seems to be much more advanced than Blackberry for about the same price.

However, I ended up going the cheap route. I'm testing a Sprint plan now that's costing me an extra $20 a month over my regular Sprint mobile bill. I'm using a Dell Axim, and can access my pop email account and internet just fine. I've even managed to sync with it on Outlook, but I'm still learning the security so I don't have that up full-time yet.

I should disclose, however, that my regular Sprint mobile bill is pretty high, so that was probably a factor in the data price they gave me.

Last edited by TexasGuy; 08-22-04 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-22-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TexasGuy,
Is the Dell Axim also your phone? The main thing I want to avoid is having data and voice in the same device. Would I be able to keep my 8200 for voice and get a separate device for data with Sprint?
Old 08-22-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the reasons that the Blackberry is so popular is the security for it. It is the most secure method of delivery email remotely. As for the Good device. I think RIM sued them for reverse engineering the device and Good is now licensing the technology from RIM (Blackberry).
I have a Blackberry for work and it is great. No need to connect to any website to get my email is pushed to the device. I think all of the carriers offer the device now with the exception of Sprint. It is coming to Sprint but still a couple of months away I think.
Old 08-22-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I looked around and saw that most service providers were selling the Blackberry, but didnt see any reasonable data-only plans (most plans were also for voice service). Is it possible (from any of the providers) to get a cheap Blackberry (the black and white one is fine) for ~100 and then pay 20-30 a month for email only?

thanks!
Old 08-22-04, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by BobDole42
TexasGuy,
Is the Dell Axim also your phone? The main thing I want to avoid is having data and voice in the same device. Would I be able to keep my 8200 for voice and get a separate device for data with Sprint?
My phone and PDA are completely separate.
Old 08-22-04, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by MrPink
As for the Good device. I think RIM sued them for reverse engineering the device and Good is now licensing the technology from RIM (Blackberry).
.... and RIM actually lost a lawsuit to a company called NTP for patent infringement, with the judgement barring RIM from selling Blackberries in the United States. They are currently selling under a temporary restraining order while taking pretty big royalty reserves to eventually pay NTP. My point is that it's pretty standard for all tech companies to be involved in lawsuits and paying royalties to each other. Whether Good is paying RIM or RIM is paying NTP, none of that should matter in a purchase decision.
Old 08-22-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BlackBerry Connect is coming soon, which basically is RIM licensing out the technology. You will begin seeing other manufacturers licensing the technology (they can pick and choose specific pieces) and deploying it on PDA's, Pocket PC's and other Smart Phones. There will also be a BlackBerry Built In program where RIM licenses the entire OS, etc to other manufacturers.

And yes, it is my understanding that the PUSH technology utilized by RIM is very secure. For corporations, the key is only outbound initiated connections through a firewall, and no need to utilize a VPN connection.

Basically if RIM loses the lawsuit they will wind up paying a licensing fee back to NTP, as NTP is not making a competing device.
Old 08-22-04, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by sniper308
BlackBerry Connect is coming soon, which basically is RIM licensing out the technology. You will begin seeing other manufacturers licensing the technology (they can pick and choose specific pieces) and deploying it on PDA's, Pocket PC's and other Smart Phones. There will also be a BlackBerry Built In program where RIM licenses the entire OS, etc to other manufacturers.
Goodlink already works with other PDAs, today (not promiseware).

Also, I don't think Blackberry owns the OS. Doesn't Blackberry license the Palm OS?
Old 08-22-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thank you to everyone for all the info! After reading everything, I am back to my original thought: is there a service proivder that will sell me a Blackberry (or similar device) for ~ 100 with a data-only plan (~20-30 per month) ?? thanks!
Old 08-23-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TexasGuy
Goodlink already works with other PDAs, today (not promiseware).

Also, I don't think Blackberry owns the OS. Doesn't Blackberry license the Palm OS?
Not that I'm aware of. They use a Java Virtual Machine OS that is specific to RIM, I believe.