Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

PC Question, Buying One for my Parents

Old 08-02-04, 11:06 PM

PC Question, Buying One for my Parents

I'm trying to find a good computer for my parents, something they'll use only for the internet and small games, no hardcore gaming or cd burning or video editing like that.

I found a Compaq computer, and these were the specs:
2.8 Celeron processor (are these any good?)
80 GB
512 RAM
DVD drive
CDRW drive
$399

And to top it off, I've got a $75 gift card which will drop the price to $325.

Only thing is, its an "open-box" item so I was a little sketchy about it, and I dont have much experience with Celeron processors, I'm shooting for at least a Pentium 4.

So my question is, for what my parents would be using it for, are Celeron processors any good or reliable? Should I opt for a Pentium processor instead? Have any of you ever bought an "open-box" item at a store and not had any problems with it? Thanks in advance for you help.
Old 08-03-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Celerons are fine for basic stuff. Plus it has 512 mb of ram, so apps should run smooth.

If it comes with a 1-yr warranty, it's not a bad deal.

My parents have the Dell Insp. 2400 Celeron 2.8 ghz, 256mb ram, cd-rw/dvd, 40gb hd for $348 & free shipping - it was a good xmas deal I helped them with. They're happy with it. Although Dell will only have deals like that from time to time.
Old 08-03-04, 08:36 AM

I'm a little sketchy with compaq's from the past, but it seems lately they've improved their products. For that price I don't think you can really go wrong. A celeron is going to be fine for anything they need to use it for, I would make sure it has a warranty though.