Reload this Page >

External HD w/ no power button?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-01-04, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been shopping online for external hard drives and found a Western Digital that meets my needs... except it doesn't have a power button. I'm only going to use this for storing MP3's and don't really have a need to leave it on all the time... unplugging it will be a pain in the butt. I know my Tivo is on 24-7. Should I be concerned about lack of a power switch?

Also, if I did buy one with a power switch do you just simply turn it off or do you need to power it down through your computer?
Old 08-01-04, 12:39 PM

The reason why they don't include power switches anymore is because the manufacturers don't want you to simple turn them off, they want you to unplug/stop them through the computer and then pull the power cable to avoid write errors, etc.
Old 08-01-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks alex
Old 08-01-04, 09:11 PM

No problem. If you really want a power switch, you could make your own external hard drive by buying an external enclosure with a power switch and an internal hard drive...just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 08-01-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by alex4bball
The reason why they don't include power switches anymore is because the manufacturers don't want you to simple turn them off, they want you to unplug/stop them through the computer and then pull the power cable to avoid write errors, etc.
You can avoid this completely with a simple OS setting. In fact, you should do this anyway for any external drive - never know when a power surge/failure is going to shut down your system.

After you connect the drive, go to My Computer, right-click on any drive, and select Properties. Then select Hardware - here you'll see a list of all of your disk drives. Select a removable drive, click Properties, and select Policies. Here you have a set of options for how it handles disk writes. Select "Optimize for quick removal" and click OK.

You've just turned off write caching for that drive. The drive will run a little more slowly, but the chances of losing data due to a power failure are much smaller.

(Note: Do not do this for your primary drive - the one that holds Windows, your program files, and your swap file. That would really degrade performance.)

- David Stein

Last edited by sfsdfd; 08-01-04 at 10:34 PM.