Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

unable to renew IP address?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-31-04, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything was working fine until one day and I lost an ip address and unable to obtain a valid IP address to get my computer to the internet. But, I've been able to get the Microsoft autoIP address of 169... btw- I am on Comcast broadband.

Here what I've done to troubleshoot... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I reinstalled XP Pro from scratch and purchased new LAN NIC and still unable to obtain an IP address. However, I am still getting the MS autoip address of 169.... When I attempted to click on the repair button in the NIC properites - I keep getting an 'unable to renew IP address" as my results.

Have anyone ever experience this issue?
Old 07-31-04, 01:37 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you rebooted your Cable Modem?

You may have to reregister with comcast as the new NIC Card has a different mac address than the old one.
Old 07-31-04, 01:42 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try unplugging your cable modem from the power outlet. Leave it unplugged for several minutes before reconnecting. If it still doesn't work, please post the brand/model of your cable modem. Also, please report the status of each of the various LED lights on the cable modem--i.e. blinking, off, solid, etc.

Also, you *really* should have a router in between your modem and PC. Though it probably wouldn't have made a difference for your current problem, for security reasons, NO broadband user should be without one considering how cheap they are now days.
Old 07-31-04, 05:47 AM

I'll agree with everyone else, if you bought a new Nic your Mac address has changed. I've had a couple different Nic's since I got cable and every time I had to call Comcast to reregister the Mac Address.

Get a router, then call Comcast with the routers Mac Address. That way you don't have to worry if you get a new nic card, plus you can add more computer's in the future without having to call Comcast everytime.
Old 07-31-04, 01:45 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One thing to note is that, if I'm reading the original post correctly, he didn't put in the new NIC until AFTER he started having problems. Thus, while he probably needs to call Comcast to register the MAC address of the new NIC (though depending on the ISP, power cycling the modem may work), that may or may not solve the original problem...
Old 08-01-04, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stupid question, but did you replace or test the cat5 cable?
Old 08-01-04, 04:23 AM

As someone who has done tech support for Comcast, you absolutely DO NOT have to call Comcast to register the NIC change. The only time Comcast requires re-registration is if you swap the modem out. Also, have you even tried calling Comcast for tech support? At the very least, they could help you narrow it down - is it the modem? Is there a known issue in your area? Is there a problem with your account? If you don't want to call them for some reason, I concur with all the suggestions posted above. First, powercycle the modem and reboot your computer. This solves the issue 80% of the time. Second, if that doesn't work, post the light configuration from you modem on here and someone can help you troubleshoot from there.
Old 08-01-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
the mac of the nic should have no effect. when I had cable internet all they cared about was the mac of the modem
Old 08-01-04, 01:46 PM

After many hours of troubleshooting - nearly pullng my hair out. I resorted to the ast attempt before calling tech support. I power recycled the modem for about 10 seconds before turning on my computer. Turned on my computer and checked the IP address -- BINGO!!! IT WORKS!! pretty crazy I tell ya.

I would like to thank everyone with your help!

~bruce
Old 08-01-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bruce_S
After many hours of troubleshooting - nearly pullng my hair out. I resorted to the ast attempt before calling tech support. I power recycled the modem for about 10 seconds before turning on my computer. Turned on my computer and checked the IP address -- BINGO!!! IT WORKS!! pretty crazy I tell ya.

I would like to thank everyone with your help!

~bruce
Fairly common. Basically anytime this happens, power cycle everything connected, i.e. the cable modem, the router (if applicable), the PC, etc. You actually reinstalled XP before rebooting the cable modem?
Old 08-02-04, 10:54 AM

Sniper,

My computer was long overdue for a reinstallation. I tend to redo my hard drive every 6 mths or so to get a fresh start and get rid of junk. It wasn't a big deal. I knew it wasn't going to help me to obtain an ip address.