Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Burner problems

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD Burner problems

Old 07-27-04, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Burner problems

My computer is being a little bastard. I have no idea when, but i tried to load a CD-Rom into my drive and it read it as a blank disc. Then the next day the computer didn't even do that. Now if i go into my computer it doesn't even list both of my CD-roms(HP DVD200i, and ATAPI Cd-Rom). The device manager does, but it has yellow exclamation points next to them and says the drivers have errors.

So i go to HP.com and they don't have new driver to download, they have an installation disc that i can purchase(which the drives wouldn't even read if i wanted them to!) So i downloaded a couple of files that claimed to be updated drivers, but they didn't work because the frickin installer couldn't find a drive to update. I can't roll it back because the computer, which i received a month ago from my sister wasn't updated. I have an HP Pavilion 754n w/ Windows XP. If some one could help me that would be great. I'm not sure how to fix it and i'm not very computer literate.
Old 07-27-04, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk God

did you recently load any new software?
nero or cdrwin more specifically?

Support the Monkey/wikoff ticket, VOTE now!
Old 07-27-04, 08:08 AM
Cool New Member

So two different drives stopped working at or around the same time? Sounds like a hardware problem, especially if both drives are connected to the same IDE controller. A few possibilities are a loose cable, a bad IDE controller or a bad drive.

Are the drives listed by the BIOS when the system is booting?

If you haven't already, make sure the power and IDE cables are plugged in securely, and make sure the IDE cable is also plugged in securely on the computer end. The computer should really be turned off and unplugged (just to be sure) if you're going to be messing with the connections.

Are both drives connected to the same IDE controller?

If so, and if you've double-checked that the connections are good, you might try a different IDE cable if you have a spare one around. Maybe the old cable has gone bad. Unlikely, but possible.

Or maybe one drive has gone bad and it's preventing the other drive from working. Try disconnecting the slave device and see if the master device works by itself. Then try disconnecting the master, changing the jumper on the slave device to make it the master and reconnecting it and see if that works by itself.

Again, any disconnecting or connecting should be done with the computer turned off and unplugged.

If the drives are connected to the second IDE controller and neither device works in the above test, maybe the second IDE controller has gone bad. Try connecting one of the drives as the slave on the first IDE controller. I assume there's a hard drive on the first IDE controller. If it's the only device, you may need to change the jumper on it from a "single" or "only drive" setting to the master setting. If you change a jumper on the hard drive, don't forget to change it back to the old setting when you're done.

WARNING: There is some risk in connecting the problem drives to the first IDE controller. If one of the drives truly has gone bad, it could damage the first IDE controller and maybe even any other drive connected to that controller. I wouldn't expect that to happen, but it's a possibility. If I were in your shoes, I would probably try it, but there _is_ some risk involved.

Good luck. And if you have any questions about any of this stuff, just ask.

James