Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

why is the ipod so freaking hard to set up?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-25-04, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they charge $300+ for this machine and dont include one essential piece - the firewire cable. ok fine...another $20. so i finally get it, hook it up and it doesnt work. says i have to download itunes...ok fine. did that. then it says its not fully updated or some shit. so i download the ipod update thing. well i install that program and it still doesnt work. says i gotta "update it" or something but the update feature is faded out - i cant click on it. i can only reset the settings and erase everything on it (my friend put songs on it on his computer).

why cant it just freaking be easy? why cant i hook up the ipod to the computer and drag songs onto the ipod? so simple.

but NO. apple had to make it insanely difficult. wtf? isnt apple suppose to be user friendly?

i have a $300 piece of crap and cannot put songs onto it. this SUCKS.
Old 07-25-04, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whoa... They no longer include the Firewire cable with the unit? My IPod is second generation, bought a year and a half ago, and I'm almost positive it came with a Firewire cable. I certainly don't remember having to buy one. Guess they have to make sure they continue making so many hundred dollars profit on each one, and had to cut the accessories when they cut the price. :thumbsdown:

On another note, dump ITunes this second. I've used a program called Ephpod since I bought my unit, since ITunes wasn't ported to Windows back then. I tried switching to iTunes a couple times, but it just doesn't compare. The URL for the program, which is free... http://www.ephpod.com/download.shtml
Old 07-25-04, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While I like my iPOD, I agree that getting the music onto it leaves a lot to be desired. You can't simply hook it up to the PC, have it regonize it as a drive, and move files over to it. This is why I changed to a Nomad Zen Xtra and I am very pleased with it...also sounds better than the iPod. What's nice is if someone has some MP3s I want, I just have to hook up to their PC and put them into my Zen...no bullshit software needed.
Old 07-25-04, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Once you get ephpod running, all your troubles will be gone.
Old 07-25-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The newer iPods (I have the mini) seem to have the exact feature that palebluedot talks about -- you hook it up with a firewire cable (provided) and the computer will recognize the iPod as another hard drive.
Old 07-25-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought a third generation ipod, but it was about the easiest device I have ever set up. Plug in the firewire cable (which they had always included), run the update program, and from then on it instantly syncs with itunes whenever I hook it up.

Ephod is a great program as well, but I prefer itunes.

Can't believe its missing the cable. What do they give you now, just a USB cable?
Old 07-25-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

do i need anything else to run that ephpod program (besides the cable)?
Old 07-25-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ephpod is a great program and is easy to use.....I just got a new computer which came with itunes preinstalled so im giving that a try and it seems pretty easy too (although i think ill go back to ephpod)
Old 08-10-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

update...

well i got a BRAND NEW computer (dell 4600) and i tried hooking up my ipod via firewire and again NOTHING. it doesnt recoginize the program, the ipod itself just keeps blinking "DO NOT DISCONNECT" and then i downloaded/installed ephpod and it says the drive i selected doesnt seem to have the proper ipod directory structure.

godamn this. no wonder i hate apple.

if i go to the apple store at our mall, will they be able to help me (even though i have a pc...)? do they have ipod stores anywhere?

and the crappy part is the firewire itself (got it from amazon) didnt come with any directions. im so pissed.
Old 08-10-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i am on the fence with an ipod/dell - but most of my music files are WMA not mp3's - is there an work-around for this problem that will allow me to play wma's on an ipod?
Old 08-10-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't know what your problem is. I have a Dell and my Ipod works like a champ.
Old 08-10-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what wire are you using to connect the two? do you have a link to it so i can compare with what i have?
Old 08-11-04, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk God

the firewire that came with the ipod. that plugs into the ipod, then into the firewire card/port from your computer. it's that simple.
Old 08-11-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder if your iPod is Apple-formatted. Use the iPod initialize (or whatever it's called) software to set up the iPod again.

I've plugged my iPod into probably a dozen computers and it's shown up as a hard drive with no extra software. I use it to transfer files a fair bit.
Old 08-11-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
the firewire that came with the ipod. that plugs into the ipod, then into the firewire card/port from your computer. it's that simple.
mine didnt come with a firewire...so i had to buy one. sucks.
Old 08-11-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by atari2600
mine didnt come with a firewire...so i had to buy one. sucks.
that doesn't make sense. unless you bought it second hand or something, I am pretty sure they all come w/ a firewire cord.
Old 08-11-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

iPod has always come with a Firewire cable, although if yuo have a non-powered, four-pin port, you have to by an adapter separatly. The latest generation also includes a USB cable.

Download the latest firmware from www.ipod.com and install it. I bet you $1 that's your problem. Also, Windows will recognized the iPod as a hard drive but to get iPod o recognize songs, you ahve to use iTunes, ephpod, or something similar.
Old 08-13-04, 06:27 PM

Wow, i just bought an ipod and it was beyond easy to set up and use. I am using usb 2.0, i dont know if that matters. I never really liked firewire.
Old 08-13-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Comfort Eagle
I never really liked firewire.
Why not? Too fast for you?
Old 08-14-04, 12:35 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What o/s are you running?

You cannon initialise an Ipod using 98.
Old 08-14-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

my new computer is xp. my old one was ME.
Old 08-15-04, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by danw
Why not? Too fast for you?
I doubt it, since USB 2.0 is faster than Firewire.
Old 08-15-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by atari2600
update...

well i got a BRAND NEW computer (dell 4600) and i tried hooking up my ipod via firewire and again NOTHING. it doesnt recoginize the program, the ipod itself just keeps blinking "DO NOT DISCONNECT" and then i downloaded/installed ephpod and it says the drive i selected doesnt seem to have the proper ipod directory structure.

godamn this. no wonder i hate apple.
Did you read the sticker on the CD that was packaged with the iPod that said, "Install software before connecting iPod"? Your iPod probably isn't formatted yet (because when it ships it can be used by either Apple or Windows). I may be wrong.

Although I don't know if this is a third-generation or fourth-generation. 4Gs come with both a Firewire cable and a USB cable. Does the iPod have four red buttons above the wheel? Did you buy it new?

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 08-15-04 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-15-04, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
I doubt it, since USB 2.0 is faster than Firewire.
In theory. In practice, Firewire usually wins. From what I understand, Firewire has its own controller and less overhead while USB relies on the CPU and has more overhead.
Old 08-15-04, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shaun3000
In theory. In practice, Firewire usually wins. From what I understand, Firewire has its own controller and less overhead while USB relies on the CPU and has more overhead.
I use Firewire, but my point was that it probably wasn't "too fast for him."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.