Reload this Page >

HTML coding question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

HTML coding question

Old 07-12-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HTML coding question

I am fairly new to HTML though I do understand it. I am trying to include a jpeg in my email. I am using the following code:

[img src="http://img....../rootpic.jpg" WIDTH=540 HEIGHT=736]

I realize the brackets should be , but I did not want the image to be pulled in .. (that's not the real name of the image BTW)

This works, but I tested this and the image is pulled in EACH time the email is read. I want the image to be bundled with the email so I can get rid of it on my server.

Also, any FREE image re-sizing programs out there. LMK.

Thanks.

P.S. The turotrials I have read do not address this issue. so I have done some investigation. Thanks.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 07-12-04 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-12-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait....

Are you saying you want the image to be included in the HTML file? This is impossible. HTML is just a way of telling the browser how a page will look.
Old 07-12-04, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by Brain Stew
Wait....

Are you saying you want the image to be included in the HTML file? This is impossible. HTML is just a way of telling the browser how a page will look.
Not necessarily in the HTML file, but somehow bundled in the email so that the person can see the pic in his email and it NOT be on the server. Can you have it as an attachment that is referred to in the HTML coding ... Just guessing at to how it might be done ...
Old 07-12-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh well that I am not sure about, but I am leaning towards not possible.
Old 07-12-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What e-mail are you using?
In Outlook or Outlook Express you can "insert" a picture. It brings up a little menu box in which to enter or browse for the file name. I think it can only be the size already in file. I know it works with .GIF and .JPG, not sure about any other formats. File is sent with e-mail, and picture shows within the email. (Be sure to "insert" not "attach."

An excellent free editor for size and a lot of other simple attributes is Irfanview. I don't have a link, just Google. It does not do complex touchup editting on just a region of the picture, but it will crop, size/resolution adjust, overall color balance, brightness, contrast, gamma, and inter-convert most common graphic file types.
Old 07-12-04, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by OldDude
What e-mail are you using?
In Outlook or Outlook Express you can "insert" a picture. It brings up a little menu box in which to enter or browse for the file name. I think it can only be the size already in file. I know it works with .GIF and .JPG, not sure about any other formats. File is sent with e-mail, and picture shows within the email. (Be sure to "insert" not "attach."
Actually I'm using a service similar to Yahoo Groups that will send messages to a large group that can subscribe through the service. It seems there has to be SOME way to do this...

Originally posted by OldDude
An excellent free editor for size and a lot of other simple attributes is Irfanview.
Thanks. I think this will work. I'm trying to resize and make the Jpeg MUCH smaller. It is not a photo and doesn't need very good quality.
Old 07-13-04, 05:33 AM

Pictures can be inserted into the e-mail, and the pics themselves will be sent with the e-mail as an attachment. Most modern e-mail programs can correctly identify attachments that are to be viewed within the message itself.

Sent the e-mail as HTML (Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora can do that with no problem) and insert the pic rather than linking to it.