Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Cheap USB 2.0 hard drive enclosure (Or controller card)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-08-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an external IDE enclosuer that is Firewire (IEEE1394) I just got a new notebook and the stupid firewire port is on the FRONT of the damn thing, which makes keeping it plugged in kind of inconvenient.

Are there any cheap USB 2.0 enclosures out there? Or possibly just the controller card so I can swap out my Firewire for USB inside my enclosure?

THanks
Old 07-08-04, 01:18 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Hmm... swapping out the controller of a FireWire to USB2.0 is most likely does not exist... there just doesn't seem to be much of a market for it.

I'm assuming this is for a 3.5" drive and not a 2.5" drive? I'd check the prices at New Egg for an enclosure. Another option is that you could purchase a FireWire PCMCIA card instead... that might be cheaper.
Old 07-08-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are the prices on Newegg about the cheapest around?

I don't want a Firewire PC card as it's redundant and I use my PC Card slot for my CardBus CompactFlash adapter. (Faster than even a Firewire adapter. )