Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Internet Browser Suggestions?

Old 06-07-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Internet Browser Suggestions?

I was just wondering what alternatives there are to IE out there? and which ones are the best, which ones I should stay away from, etc...

Thanks.
Old 06-07-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use Mozilla's Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

It's really nice. 90% of web pages load fine. Occasionally I'll find one that doesn't load properly and I have to load it in IE, but I installed an extension that allows me to right-click on a link to open it in IE if I need to.

Its highly modify-able. I have 7 add ons, including a Google Toolbar that I prefer to IE's. My only complaint (and there may be a fix for it) is that the pop-up blocking doesn't seem as easy to modify as say, Google Tool-bar's.
Old 06-07-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been using Firefox, but honestly, the only reason I like it better than IE is tabbed browsing. Sure IE is old, but everybody supports it so everything looks good in it. No memory leak either (at least, none as big as Firefox's).
Old 06-07-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Firefox is really nice. Honestly, I wouldn't have switched to it had I not been forced to use it, for several weeks, due to an IE glitch (it wouldn't fetch anything from anywhere!) - but now that I have, I think it's a dream. It's very quick to download and render pages.

It does have a few glitches and inconsistencies, but it's still better than IE.

- David Stein
Old 06-07-04, 03:55 PM
DAC

I have been using Netscape for the past several years. It seems to work well (I too really like the tabbed browser feature of it, mostly the reason I use it)
Old 06-07-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

myIE2
Old 06-07-04, 05:18 PM

Firefox is really nice, but I honestly prefer Opera . It's got everything I want built-in that I'd need an extension for in Firefox (mouse gestures, etc.)

I'm not trying to sell Firefox short - it's a great piece of software. I just like Opera better.
Old 06-07-04, 05:26 PM

Thanks. So far I am liking Firefox. Though I have only used it to access this site and post this reply.
Old 06-07-04, 06:42 PM

I like Opera a lot. Really fast too. Much better than Mozilla and Netscape they loaded too slow.

http://www.opera.com
Old 06-07-04, 07:01 PM

Another vote for FireFox.
Old 06-07-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Firefox has been my browser of choice for quite some time. I tend to run into those security issues far less often than when I use IE. Since I don't need EVERY single bell & whistle out there when it comes to surfing the net, Firefox fits the bill just fine and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
Old 06-07-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Netscape or Firefox. I don't care for Opera... never have.
Old 06-07-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I tried using Opera for my mail and was thoroughly frustrated. It's browser was OK. Firefox is good, but for some reason, it seems a bit slower than IE on my computer. Things tend to snap into place, sometimes the spacing is wrong. With IE, things just come up correctly all the time. I do like the tabbed browsing though. I used it for a while then went back to IE. Maybe I should give it another shot.
Old 06-07-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still prefer IE even though tabbed browsing is so compelling... I actually use both, but IE gets used most. If IE 7 has tabbed browsing and pop-up blocking, it'll eliminate my need to use firefox.
Old 06-07-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Firefox also. Too much junk that came with Opera. I love the simplicity.
Old 06-07-04, 11:42 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by orangeguy
I like Opera a lot. Really fast too. Much better than Mozilla and Netscape they loaded too slow.
Interesting. For me, pages load faster on Firefox than on Opera.
Old 06-08-04, 06:13 PM

Firefox is pretty nice, but I still prefer IE 6 w/ the Google toolbar.
Old 06-08-04, 07:08 PM
Suspended

IE for life!
Old 06-08-04, 07:48 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remember folks, it's not that mozilla or opera are rendering the pages incorrectly, it's that IE broke so many standards that websites coded non-compliant sites so that they would work in IE, because making them non-compliant was much easier then learning how to make a compliant page work for everything and IE.
Old 06-09-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use Slimbrowser. It's built on IE, so has the compatibility for webpages. But there's still that heavily integrated into Windows thing, which can be a bad thing. But I love the built in tools in Slimbrowser:
  • Tabbed browsing. An advantage I prefer over Firefox is that a tab can be closed by double clicking on it.
  • Quick search bar, defaulted to Google, but has a dropdown list of over 30 other search engines. And a highlight search word feature, which makes finding your results on a page much easier.
  • Built in pop-up blocker, which works excellently. Plus allows you to view a webpages pop-ups if you desire, without having to disable the blocker entirely. And desired pop-ups (if there's such a thing) can be added to a white list.
  • Mouse shortcuts for back and forward paging. Hold right, click left to back page and the opposite for forward paging. I realize how much I use this when I'm on a computer that doesn't have this.
  • Group shortcuts: have several pages you always open? You can make a group and open all of them with one shortcut click.
  • Zoom in and out on entire webpages
  • Language translation on the toolbar: easily Babelfish or Google Translate a webpage
  • Plus lots of other stuff I haven't even played with yet.

Slimbrowser is constantly updated, new tools and toys added, bugs fixed. The only bug I've found that bothers me, which hasn't been fixed yet, it that if a skin is applied to Slimbrower and the Windows XP taskbar has autohide, it won't allow the taskbar to come up on top. No big deal to me, I leave the skins disabled.

Last edited by RKillgore; 06-09-04 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-09-04, 11:52 AM

I used Opera for a long time - 2 years. Then tried some news ones a few months ago (Firefox, MyIE2, Netscape) but settled on Avant Browser. It has all the features of Opera that I loved, but has IE's reliability in loading web pages. Some of it's features:

- Tabbed pages
- Great popup blocker built in
- Mouse gestures
- Group feature - very convenient
- Ad/flash blocker

Oh, and it's free.
Old 06-09-04, 01:15 PM
Stealth Moderator

Why does everyone like tabbed browsing so much? What are the reasons?

I prefer NON-tabbed browsing, because I switch between windows a LOT. I'm constantly alt-tabbing on the keyboard, which is sooooooo much faster than any mouse movement (in FireFox, I use ctrl-tab to switch tabs AND alt-tab to switch windows).

RKillgore: in FireFox, single clicking on the wheel closes the tab. Just as convenient (if not more) than double clicking.
Old 06-09-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by namja
Why does everyone like tabbed browsing so much? What are the reasons?
I hated having 5 or more windows filling my taskbar, nothing more. Like you, I alt+tab and ctrl+tab everything; much faster than mousing!