Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Problem with getting rid of hijack spyware

Old 06-05-04, 10:48 PM

Problem with getting rid of hijack spyware

I need some help on this....

Normally, my opening page on IE should be blank. When I opened up IE today, it opened to www.msn.com. I went to "tools" and reset it to the blank page again. I ran the latest version of Adaware. It found a file that tried to hijack my computer - thus changing it to msn.com. I deleted it using the program, only to find the same problem happening again when I open up IE, it goes back to msn.com. Weird thing is that everytime I set my page to blank again, the same hijack file is detected by Adaware.

I tried spybot and spyblaster and they don't seem to correct the problem either. I feel like the internet connection is slower than usual too, leading me to suspect that the hijack program is still on my computer.

Any suggestions on what to do?
Old 06-05-04, 10:51 PM

Just to double-check: did you upgrade Spybot and Adaware to the latest versions before scanning?
Old 06-05-04, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Just to double-check: did you upgrade Spybot and Adaware to the latest versions before scanning?
The first scan I didn't, but after realizing that fact, I upgraded it and ran the scan again and still the same problem.
Old 06-05-04, 11:00 PM

btw, here's what it says on adaware:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER:Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main"Start Page" ("msn.com")
Old 06-05-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

post your hijackthis log file.
Old 06-06-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

try this:
here is a fix provided by someone else for the mk:@MSITStore:C:\WINDOWS\start.chm problem at least till something better comes out.

1. with notepad, open start.chm. its in your c/windows. delete everything in it, and save.
2. Go to the site which you prefer to be your home page.
3. In the internet options, set the home page to the current site.
4. lastly, in c/windows, change the property of start.chm to read-only
Old 06-07-04, 03:53 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A friend/co-worker of mine had this happen to him except it would automatically change to a pr0n site. He called me in a panic because he didn't want his wife finding out he was looking up pr0n on the net while she was at work.

I couldn't figure it out either so he ultimatley reformated his entire hard drive.
Old 06-07-04, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by DAC
A friend/co-worker of mine had this happen to him except it would automatically change to a pr0n site. He called me in a panic because he didn't want his wife finding out he was looking up pr0n on the net while she was at work.

I couldn't figure it out either so he ultimatley reformated his entire hard drive.