Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows network communication woes

Old 06-02-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Windows network communication woes

I'm having major Windows networking issues on one paricular computer. Simply put: I can't get any data using certain applications. But it's very hit-or-miss:
  • Internet Explorer never sends any network requests. Whenever I try accessing a network page, it never even seems to send a request (I get no blip on my network upload stats.) It can apparently render HTML files just fine. I have tried reinstalling all of IE6, running the WinXP system-file repair tool, and playing with IE's connection settings ad infinitum - no luck.
  • As an alternative, I've been using Mozilla Firefox, and it works like a charm. Most third-party network apps work fine.
  • Outlook works fine.
  • WindowsUpdate works as a background auto-update service. I can't access the windowsupdate site from IE, of course, and the site claims to be incompatible with Firefox (how convenient...)
  • Microsoft products that rely on an IE plugin to display a page can't get any data. Office apps time out while trying to get product help. Streets & Trips times out trying to get updated construction info. The IE6 installer applet always times out before downloading any IE installation data. Even a third-party applet (downloading MSDN from e-academy.com) that relies on an IE plugin times out.
  • These problems are consistent across networks (I regularly use four different ones, with the same results) and across network adapters (same results using wired and wireless adapters.)

So the problem isn't in any network or my network hardware, and it isn't product-specific. It seems like something's wedged between the IE subsystem and the WinXP communication protocols (TCP stack, etc.)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

- David Stein
Old 06-02-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like a bit of a doozy there.
Does the event log under admin tools say anything?
Do you have a firewall?
Old 06-02-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ranger
Looks like a bit of a doozy there.
Yeah, I've been struggling with this one for about a month. I'd chalk it up to a loss and just run Firefox (which is a great browser), but I keep encountering things that are broken (like software updates) and I'm getting sick of it.
Does the event log under admin tools say anything?
Nothing interesting. Just trawled through it for 10 minutes to confirm.
Do you have a firewall?
Software firewall is disabled. No hardware firewall at home (just NAT, of course.) Firwall at work, but I can't get intranet pages from IE, and I have no problems getting them from Firefox.

- David Stein
Old 06-02-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Worth a try. Do you have another windows user account? Does the same issues occur?

Another simple thing. Have you scanned for viruses?

I figure the software firewall could still be the problem, try uninstalling it then reinstalling it. I think even if the firewall was disabled, it still could prevent some programs from accessing the net.

If you're already frustrated, you could try a system repair and chkdsk.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q314058
Old 06-02-04, 01:16 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you by any chance using any Norton products (firewall, AV, etc.)? If so, try getting rid of them completely (though good luck with that). I have had similar problems before with their products and refuse to let them near any computers I maintain.
Old 06-02-04, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You've checked IE's proxy settings right?
Old 06-02-04, 08:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Windows network communication woes

Originally posted by sfsdfd
  • Microsoft products that rely on an IE plugin to display a page can't get any data. Office apps time out while trying to get product help.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

- David Stein

• By chance have you tried clearing the cache for IE? I've seen the above happen for no obvious reason... but simply clearing the cache eliminated the problem.
    Old 06-02-04, 07:05 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

For the record:
    1) Yeah, antivirus scan updates and runs every day. Ad-Aware and/or Spybot once a week.
    2) "Check proxy settings" firmly disabled (I've checked this several times, as it's the most common cause of problems.)
    3) System repair and chkdsk: Tried twice; appeared to reinstall critical system files, but didn't resolve anything.
    4) Cache firmly cleared (all offline content wiped, in fact.)

But this worked!...
    Do you have another windows user account? Does the same issues occur?
    You're awesome. Temporary user account connects IE to the net without issue.

So the only real follow-up issue: Is there any way I can fix my user profile, or do I have to trash it and use a new one? I'm really reluctant to start over, since all of my custom program settings will vanish! - I could simply use the other account on those rare occasions when I need IE, but that's kind of a hacked-in solution.

- David Stein
    Old 06-03-04, 02:29 AM
    DVD Talk Legend

Log in your usual account to try copy the settings to the temp account by rc'ing My Computer->Advanced->User Profiles Settings and hope the same issue doesn't occur in the temp account.