Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Wireless Repeaters?

Old 05-24-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wireless Repeaters?

I saw an ad for a wireless router & repeater in the Frys ad today and I figured they existed, just never really knew how cheap they were or how they worked. But now I'm thinking about getting one to extend wireless throughout our house.

Currently we have a DLink wireless router in the attic midway between the two computers that use the wireless connection, but as stated in another thread, I'm thinking of getting an Axim and would like to have wireless connectivity elsewhere in the house where the current router doesn't reach.

So, I looked up the DLink router at Buy.com and it's about $70 which isn't too much, but I'm just wondering how it works. Just plug it into an outlet? Does it just relay the signal to the router that is plugged into the cable modem? Would it basically have the same range as the router? Would an 802.11g repeater offer more distance than an 802.11b repeater even if the router is only 802.11b? Would 802.11g offer me any range improvement with an 802.11b receiver (e.g. the Axim)? Or is it only for 802.11g compatible devices?

11b

11g

Last edited by Blake; 05-24-04 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-24-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The 802.11g repeater looks good. I may buy one myself - I've been looking for a G-class repeater setup for a while.

802.11g typically offer better range and signal strength than 802.11b, but so many factors come into play that it's difficult to make practical use of this fact. Choosing good placement of your devices is a much better decision.

All 802.11g devices are backwards-compatible with 802.11b. It's a mandatory part of the spec; devices can't be billed as G-class unless they also support B-class communications. Of course, you won't get 54mbps, but only 11mbps (and that goes for all devices on your network - even two G-class adapters communicating through a G-class router will be slowed to 11mbps, if you have even one B-class device on the network.)

The repeater works just like your router: you just plug it into the wall for power, and it starts transmitting. You might not even need to configure it.

- David Stein
Old 05-24-04, 11:44 AM
X
Administrator

You might search for "repeater" in this forum. We had a discussion about these within the last few weeks.
Old 05-24-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks X - didn't think of that. Here's the other thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...light=repeater