Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Will any of the Cox compatible cable modems work as DSL modems ?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-23-04, 05:49 PM

My family and I will be signing up pretty soon with Cox Cable for high speed internet.
I was looking at the list of Cox compatible approved cable modems.
Although I'm optimistic that I will be happy with my service, in case I decide down the road to cancel my cox internet service, I thought I could stay a step ahead if it turns out that one of these modems (below) can also function as a DSL modem -- or am I out of luck and will I have to buy a whole new modem if I should end up needing to sign up with DSL later on ?

Also, I tried looking around for reviews of these modems, and about all I could find were some reviews at epinions, amazon.com and a couple here at dvdtalk. Plus, amazon.com shows some of these as being discontinued.
The Motorola SB5100 seems to be highly regarded, but I was concerned by some of the low customer ratings (there's mention there of problems with the firmware and the modem itself) at amazon.com :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Ambit60678EU
Best DataCMX110
Best DataCMX300
BelkinF5D5530-W
Broadxent8601
CastleNetCXC250
Com21DOXport 1110
DLinkDCM-100
DLinkDCM-200
DLinkDCM-201
EricssonHM200C
General Instruments2100
General Instruments3100
LinksysBEFCMU10
LinksysBEFCMU10 v2
LinksysBEFCMU10 v3
MotorolaSB4100
MotorolaSB4200
MotorolaSB4220
MotorolaSB5100
MotorolaSB5120
MotorolaSBG1000
NetgearCM212
RCADCM225
RCADCM226
RCADCM235
RCADCM245
RCADCM305
RCADCM315R
RCADCW615R
SiemensSS6101
Scientific Atlanta WebstarDPX-110
Scientific Atlanta WebstarDPX100
Scientific Atlanta WebstarDPX2100
SMCSMC8011CM
SMC8002
SMC8004
TerayonECM210
TerayonECM110
TerayonTJ615
TerayonTJ715
TerayonTJ715x
ToshibaPCX1100
ToshibaPCX1100U
ToshibaPCX2000
ToshibaPCX2200
ToshibaPCX2500
ToshibaPCX2600
ToshibaPCX5000
Zoom5001
Zoom5041
Zoom5011

Last edited by AutumnNights; 05-23-04 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-23-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm pretty sure they are totally different beasts. Not to mention they use different connections (phone jack vs coax cable)

dave
Old 05-23-04, 06:53 PM

I've had Cox Cable HSI for about a year now and I'm using the Motorola SB5100 and I'm very happy with both the service and modem! Cox has been very reliable for me thusfar...the only service outage I experienced was due to Hurricane Isabel last fall.
Old 05-23-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Definitely completely different. My old Toshiba Cable Modem worked nice. Personally, i don't think there's a whole lot of difference in Cable Modems.
Old 05-23-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know of any modems which are both cable and DSL, which are two totally different technologies, but hey I've only been on cable modem for a year or so. Anyone else?
Old 05-24-04, 01:41 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The technology is totally different, so I don't expect you will find a combo DSL/cable modem. For cable modems at least, there actually is/can be a good deal of difference between brands. Toshiba and Motorola are the ones to get. The Motorola SB5100 is a great cable modem; however, unlike a lot of other cable modems, its ethernet connection is 10/100. This can (and has) caused problems for those whose router's WAN port is only 10baseT (not 10/100), which is still pretty common. You might check with Cox to see if they sell the modems. When I bought mine way back when from them, their price was the best I could find. Now, with rebates etc., you can probably find a better deal; but it's worth checking.
Old 05-24-04, 03:48 AM

Thank you for the replies.
I think what threw me off is the non-standardized way that some of the companies choose to label their products -- I think mainly it has to do with the fact that often the product title mentions "gateway" but the functions it performs might be different than the product from some other company also labeled as a gateway.
E.g. http://www.netgear.com/products/routers/inetgateway.php
and
http://www.linksys.com/products/grou...rid=34&scid=29

At netgear, you see listed a "gateway" with a cable modem built-in
At that particular linksys page, their routers are identified as "Cable/DSL routers", and so I was starting to get confused when I'd look at an ad in the paper and see advertised a "Cable/dsl router" or "cable/dsl gateway" and I'd think "oh, that must be a router with cable and dsl modem built in so maybe that means that the seperate cable modem that I am going to buy (such as, e.g., the Motorola 5100) can also be used for DSL service."

I spent some time later today on the subject of cable modems, and although cox has that long list, it appears that the only cable modems that are not discontinued and are worth buying are the Best Data CMX110 , Linksys BEFCMU10 (and v2 & v3), Motorola 5100 , and Toshiba PCX1100U & PCX2200.
And since several of you are pleased with the Motorola and Toshiba, I'll narrow my options down to that.
Now, something that a compusa clerk said today threw me off. I'd read about trying to have your networking hardware be from the same company, but her opinion was that even the cable modem ought to be the same brand as the rest of the equipment.

JM, I'm glad you mentioned that point about the 5100 and 10 and 10/100. So as long as the wired or wireless router I'm interested in is described as having 10/100 ports (as opposed to 10baseT) ports, I'll be fine ? (Slightly off-topic, but there was a router that I was leaning towards that, while its manufacturer says has 10/100 ports, apparently is having problems with the Motorola modems here (see page 5&6 in particular) )
And is the opposite situation fine ? If the cable modem only supports 10baseT (apparently such as the two named Toshiba modems), will it function just fine with a router with a 10/100 port ?

Also, I'm planning to go wireless but of my equipment I'll have the desktop computers have a wired connection. A salesperson told me that routers include a short-ish cable so that, if my router is going to be close enough to the desktop computer, I probably won't need to buy a seperate cable. But if I do, what is the difference between "cat5" and "cat5e" ?

And I was wondering ... the router I'm interested in (SMC2304WBR-AG) is apparently only available on-line. I went to some price-comparison sites like mysimon.com, shopper.com & pricegrabber.com , but I'm not familiar with any of the online retailers that were the results of my search. Can anyone offer any recommendations ?

JoeR63, I appreciate the reassurance about Cox's service. I had spent some time at broadbandreports and was surprised to find out that in certain parts of the country apparently the Cox service is pretty awful. The people posting in and around the Phoenix area sounded overall pretty pleased

Thank you again for the help and replies

Last edited by AutumnNights; 05-24-04 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-24-04, 03:47 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by AutumnNights
Now, something that a compusa clerk said today threw me off. I'd read about trying to have your networking hardware be from the same company, but her opinion was that even the cable modem ought to be the same brand as the rest of the equipment.
There is no need to have the cable modem be the same brand the rest of your equipment. In fact, I'm not sure the best modem manufacturers (Toshiba and Motorola) even make other consumer-level networking equipment. Linksys does, but IMO their cable modem is not as well-respected as the Toshiba and Motorola. Even having the rest of your network equipment the same brand really only matters for wireless. You will generally have less trouble with wireless if you stick to one brand, but even then it isn't necessary provided you do your homework on the equipment you buy.

JM, I'm glad you mentioned that point about the 5100 and 10 and 10/100. So as long as the wired or wireless router I'm interested in is described as having 10/100 ports (as opposed to 10baseT) ports, I'll be fine ?
Almost all routers have 10/100 LAN ports. The key is having a 10/100 WAN port, which until recently many did not have. If it does have one, then it *should* work--though the Netgear you mentioned appears to have 10/100 and still has problems.

And is the opposite situation fine ? If the cable modem only supports 10baseT (apparently such as the two named Toshiba modems), will it function just fine with a router with a 10/100 port ?
Yes. I use a Toshiba PCX1100U with a 10/100 Buffalo WBR-G54 without problem.

Also, I'm planning to go wireless but of my equipment I'll have the desktop computers have a wired connection. A salesperson told me that routers include a short-ish cable so that, if my router is going to be close enough to the desktop computer, I probably won't need to buy a seperate cable. But if I do, what is the difference between "cat5" and "cat5e" ?
Cat5e has slightly different specs than Cat5, but most stuff now labelled as Cat5 is actually Cat5e anyway. In any case, it doesn't really matter, as either will work fine.

And I was wondering ... the router I'm interested in (SMC2304WBR-AG) is apparently only available on-line. I went to some price-comparison sites like mysimon.com, shopper.com & pricegrabber.com , but I'm not familiar with any of the online retailers that were the results of my search. Can anyone offer any recommendations ?
I'm not real big on SMC routers. In the course of helping people setup networks with ReplayTVs on the AVS forums (and elsewhere), I've seen a lot of posts about various troublesome equipment. SMC has come up a few times. The best wireless solution IMO at this point is the Buffalo 802.11g WBR-G54 (or its successor WBR2-G54). It is probably not a brand you've heard of, but their products are very good--better than Linksys, Netgear, etc. IMO (check out the "Other manufacturers" forum at dslreports.com for more rave reviews). What's great is that their tech support is even better. They actually know what they are talking about and are available by phone 24/7. Highly recommended.

The WBR-G54 is a very versatile product in that it can be used as a router, a bridge, an access point, or a repeater (through WDS bridging). If you have any ethernet-only devices at all that need to be wirelessly bridged to your network (e.g. an Xbox), WDS bridging is much better than the MAC masquerading bridges sold by Linksys, Netgear, etc. You will get better performance, better reliability, and none of the hassle MAC masquerading can cause with port forwarding etc.

The Belkin F5D7230-4 is very similar to the WBR-G54, also offers WDS bridging, and is interoperable with the WBR-G54 (and any other WDS devices). It doesn't expose quite as much of its configuration to the end user as the WBR-G54, which can be good or bad I guess--depending on your computer knowledge. It is usually a little cheaper than the WBR-G54. For example, right now, JandR.com has the Belkin F5D7230-4 for $40 after $20 rebate.

The only other model router I would even consider is the Linksys WRT54G. It, like the Buffalo and Belkin, is a Linux-based router using the Broadcom chipset. Hardware-wise, all 3 of the above are very similar. However, the WRT54G does NOT support WDS bridging with its stock firmware. There is 3rd-party firmware(Sveasoft) that enables WDS on the WRT54G, but it is not at this point as reliable/full-featured as the Buffalo/Belkin WDS implementation.