Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Computer clock problems

Old 05-17-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Computer clock problems

Why is it that my clock is always 1 hour behind? I am running widows XP and have it set to update my clock through the internet time server. When it updates, it always is one hour behind. I have the correct time zone set so this shouldn't be the problem. Any other ideas?
Old 05-17-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Have you set dst properly? I don't have XP and I'm not sure if they have two choices for same timezone ( with and w/o dst) or a separate checkbox.

Actually, I set up computer for my parents recently, with XP. IIRC, there are two choices for EST, one for cities with DST, one for cities w/o (Indianapolis). May apply to your time zone as well.
Old 05-18-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was just a thread a about this a little bit ago.

I've found that if you update the time through the internet via a checkbox that it really screws up the time. Not even the same minute.
Old 05-18-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by tanman
I've found that if you update the time through the internet via a checkbox that it really screws up the time. Not even the same minute.

???
I have Windows ME, so it requires a separate application. However, I update clock daily (it loses about 2 s/day) through an Internet time server. It agrees perfectly with a WWV shortwave receiver, and my WWVB radio controlled ("atomic") clock. I use NISTime-32 because it is compact and free, but I used to use a somewhat bloated piece of commercial software. Both work fine.
Old 05-19-04, 04:30 PM

Well, I personally hate XP, and wouldn't trust a single thing in it, so I don't know why that isn't working.

But I use Atomic Clock for synching all my servers to the same time. It works perfectly, never had a problem on all my windows platforms, even the ones running the horrible xp os.

see here:
atomic clock sync

Cheers!
Old 05-21-04, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by basaro
Well, I personally hate XP, and wouldn't trust a single thing in it, so I don't know why that isn't working.

But I use Atomic Clock for synching all my servers to the same time. It works perfectly, never had a problem on all my windows platforms, even the ones running the horrible xp os.

see here:
atomic clock sync

Cheers!
that thing is absolutely riddled with spyware.
Old 05-21-04, 02:55 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by OldDude
I have Windows ME, so it requires a separate application. However, I update clock daily (it loses about 2 s/day) through an Internet time server. It agrees perfectly with a WWV shortwave receiver, and my WWVB radio controlled ("atomic") clock. I use NISTime-32 because it is compact and free, but I used to use a somewhat bloated piece of commercial software. Both work fine.
Cool.

tanman, Ketamine, try this one. Oh, here's the link:

http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/its.htm
Old 05-21-04, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by tanman
that thing is absolutely riddled with spyware.
You're sure about that? Like what?

My systems are clean, I don't see any spyware. Well, ad-aware and spybot killer don't see anything anyway.

Please clarify, thanks.
Old 05-21-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the battery on your motherboard might be going out. (looks like a watch battery). have you looked into replacing it? try clearing the cmos also.
Old 05-29-04, 11:40 PM

OK, I am stupid. I looked at it again today and found my problem. I live in the central time zone and thought that was what was my default. In fact, I was on central america time instead. Before, I would correct the time but then it would update the time (central america time) and then be an hour off again. It's fixed now. Thanks for the replies.

Edit: But of course I just went back and looked they should be the same time. Not sure what to think. Ideas? Again, the problem is that the time was off exactly one hour. Not sure about the daylight savings thing that was mentioned in an earlier post since I don't see an option to change that.

Last edited by Ketamine; 05-29-04 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-30-04, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Central America does not observe daylight savings time (most countries or areas relatively near the equator don't). The Central Time Zone in the US does observe DST. The two different listings for the -6:00 time zone are with and w/o DST.
Old 05-30-04, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by OldDude
Central America does not observe daylight savings time (most countries or areas relatively near the equator don't). The Central Time Zone in the US does observe DST. The two different listings for the -6:00 time zone are with and w/o DST.
Thanks, that explains it.