Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

problem with LCD in potrait mode

Old 05-14-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

problem with LCD in potrait mode

I bought a BenQ Fp992ds LCD. It works great in 1280x1024 res mode. Its not so great at 1024x768. Problem is that the pivot doesn't work in potrait mode at 1280 res. I have to lower the res down to 1024 in potrait mode, and like I said before, the quality isn't good.

So, what I want to know is, if the issue is with the LCD or the videocard(radeon 9200se 128mb). I'm using DVI.

thankt
Old 05-14-04, 10:13 AM
X
Administrator

The quality of the picture won't be very good at anything other than the native resolution of the monitor.

At 1280x1024 you are running at its native resolution. Your video card, especially when using DVI, drives each pixel individually. The images on the monitor will be perfect, right to a single pixel such as a period.

When you change the resolution your monitor has to interpolate the video signal to drive all the pixels. That means it has to expand and blend the image to fill up all the pixels. If you could tell the monitor to not fill the screen but only use the area driven by the signal it would look fine, but it would be smaller.

Unfortunately it's a fact of life with fixed-pixel type devices.
Old 05-15-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, i called benq customer support . they were no help. i was told that the resolution was too high to run in potrait mode. i was like ok ..

now there was no manual with the benq, and nothing online, to see a list of all the supported resolutions/refresh rates ..

so i went back to the computer, and reduced the refresh rate to 60mhz, and then tried the potrait mode .. and it worked.

now my new question ..

is there an app that'll let me switch the resolution/refresh rate using hot keys. the program that came with benq, and the rotate support in ati drivers, only do resolution change. they won't let me do 1280x at 75mhz in lanscape, and 1280x at 60mhz in potrait?
Old 05-15-04, 01:04 AM
X
Administrator

I believe ATI's Hydravision lets you set resolutions to hotkeys as long as their driver allows you to set those resolutions. Won't it let you change refresh rate too?

You shouldn't need any other refresh rate than 60Hz on an LCD anyway. There is no flicker to worry about.

If you have trouble with that give PowerStrip a try. I use it all the time to set custom resolutions/refresh rates and it lets you use hotkeys to switch between them.
Old 05-16-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

tried hydra vision .. didn't have the options i was looking for.

i know power strip could do it, but i need a freeware type of solution ...
Old 05-16-04, 01:05 AM
X
Administrator

Have you tried 60Hz with 1280x1024? Works fine on my LCD. Doesn't matter if it's 60, 70, or 75.
Old 05-16-04, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The resolution is too high because your 1280x1024 monitor becomes a 1024x1280 monitor in portrait mode.

So if you try to maintain a 1280 horizontal resolution, you simply can't (only have 1024 pixels).

Powerstrip might let you switch to a 1024x1280 resolution. It's been a while since I've used it.
Old 05-16-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah it is working at 60mhz @ 1280. I wrote it in one of my previous msg.

i guess i can leave it at 60mhz, so that it works in both modes..