Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Alienware opinions?

Old 05-10-04, 03:06 PM

Alienware opinions?

I'm researching buying a new computer and I'm looking at the Alienware systems. My tech savvy friends all say that they are overpriced and I'll be better off buying the individual parts and building the machine myself.

After doing some more research I determined that it would probably save me ~$200-$300 dollars building it by parts but the downside would be that if it were to stop working I would have to determine which part is defective and deal with that particular vendor/manufacturer.

Whereas an Alienware computer or any other computer vendor would support the machine as a whole and I would avoid that hassle.

I think I would much rather go the latter and just buy the machine complete. I know Dell has excellent customer support but since Alienware states they cater to the gamer, which I am, i figured I'd go with them. Does anyone have any opinions either way? Should I avoid Alienware alltogether and go with a Dell or something else.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-11-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are some good points you make.
1. Customer Support is very important. Something goes wrong they take care of it. You build it you better be able to fix it. I like the Support idea myself. Or it si time and money out of your pocket to fix it.
2. Valid company that builds gaming rigs. You game than they are a very good choice.
3. Dell will give you Support and it is a lower price but will it be as good ? Will it look half as cool?
4. Alienware rocks. Some techhead here might ahve other fav's but you know you are buying quality.
5. Doom III on Alienware. Ummmmmm.
Old 05-11-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they are overpriced. If you build your own you have to be your own tech support. Ya but if you can build your own computer then you know what your doing and finding problems wouldn't be that hard. IMO.
Old 05-11-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.alienware.com/flash_pages/predator_demo.aspx
Old 05-11-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Alienware opinions?

Originally posted by WepaMan
My tech savvy friends all say that they are overpriced and I'll be better off buying the individual parts
well you can always tap one of of them to help ya build the system.. It really is pretty darn easy ya know.. More like a kids tinker toy set then anything really techy as long as a person sticks with named stuff.. In other words don't get a no name MB and no name brand ram etc etc then act shocked it's buggy.. Plus if you have a system now to get online with, it's pretty easy to trouble shoot stuff online..

the main $$$ saved with building a system over buying a Dell etc is when you need to upgrade again and if you are a hardcore gamer odds are you do that more then most..

So next system upgrade, even if it's just 3 more HD's and a bigger power supply is going to be cheaper..

As for Alienware over all, they seem like a good company. If one needs a full set up.. More so if you dig the funky colors they do as a set with the matching keyboard and so on.. On some level that alone is almost worth going with them over Dell... Just don't waste the cash on the Extreme version of the systems they sell.. It's not enough bang for the buck..

I was at a LAN the this week end and the 3 systems on my table were a 3.2E, 3.4 and my 3.0 set up.. Every level load we traded off who got into the game first. It's just that close to each other speed wise so save the $$$ for something else..
Old 05-11-04, 06:54 PM

I'd wait for the new PCI express shtuff!
Old 05-11-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

too expensive

great if price is no object
Old 05-11-04, 10:00 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love the look but just to rich for my blood.
Old 05-12-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Alienware opinions?

Originally posted by WepaMan
... the downside would be that if it were to stop working I would have to determine which part is defective and deal with that particular vendor/manufacturer.
I can only speak for myself, but I have never really had a component fail. And if I would, I don't think it is that tough to tell which one has stopped working.

I think I would much rather go the latter and just buy the machine complete. I know Dell had excellent customer support
Fixed.
Old 05-12-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dell's customer service has really been sliding down over the last few years and is no longer that good IMO.

I still would buy a Dell if the price was so low that I feel my doing the customer service myself still results in a net saving.

I think Alienware is a nice overpriced computer. If you have a bunch of money and price is not an issue then why not buy one. It will be fast. Of course in a year you will have a middle of the road system and will have paid a bunch for it.

I might price out the XPS line at Dell to see how much you can save. Then look at the difference and decide if you want to pay the additional for better support or a better computer.

By the way which alienware model are you looking at. This might help people give some advice on price versus service

Last edited by gcribbs; 05-12-04 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-12-04, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A friend of mine and I both bought Alienware machine's a few years ago, and both ended up having problems with them.

In my opinion, at least at that time and in my case (as well as his) the customer service was absolutely horrible. We both had downtime of over 2 weeks waiting for replacement parts to show up.

When they finally DID show up, the guy that was supposed to install the new MB (on site service included in warranty) kept blowing me off and wouldn't set up a definite time to come install the new motherboard. I ended up just going ahead and installing it myself.

Not sure if it's still an active site or not, but check out www.alienwaresucks.com

If you want to buy a complete system, get excellent customer service, and don't mind paying a premium, check out Falcon Northwest. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I don't think I've ever seen a bad review of their products of of their customer service.

Be warned though, they are pricey...