Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

wireless router - b vs. g

Old 05-10-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

wireless router - b vs. g

thinking of starting a wireless network in my home.. seems as if b is going away in place of g... is g backwards compatiable, so if I got a b router with a g card, it would work? ... also is very difficult to get different brands to see one another (3com router, dlink card, etc)?
Old 05-10-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Re: wireless router - b vs. g

Originally posted by j123vt_99
thinking of starting a wireless network in my home.. seems as if b is going away in place of g... is g backwards compatiable, so if I got a b router with a g card, it would work?

yes.
... also is very difficult to get different brands to see one another (3com router, dlink card, etc)?
no. Most cards have no problems seeing any wireless routers, but some have better through put.
Old 05-10-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

why are the pci cards for a pc more expensive than the pcmcia cards?
Old 05-10-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More hardware? I heard the G routers has better signal distance than the B routers.
Old 05-10-04, 01:30 PM

In my pretty extensive experience, G seems to have better distance and penetration than B radio. Both use the same 2.4ghz radio space, but G uses uses orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM), just as 802.11a does. Whether that is what gives it the boost or not I'm not sure.

The one hitch use G/B together is that any B device on a network with G devices will slow everything down to B speed.

As for why the pci vs pcmcia cards are so drastically different in price, I'd guess it is because of sales. Generally, most pci cards are merely a pcmcia card slotted into a pci adapter. You wouldn't think this would boost the price that much, but in most cases it doubles it at least, sometimes more. I'd guess that is just because so many more pcmcia cards sold than pci ones.

If possible, maybe try to keep your equipment of the same brand. Most devices should be compatible, but I've seen wierd things where a Linksys device won't hook to a certain NetGear router, etc. Generally intra-company devices shouldn't experience that. Then again, at home my family has D-link, Dell Trumobile and Cisco cards hooking to D-link and Cisco AP's with no issues, so more often than not it'll work out.
Old 05-10-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what do you think the cheapest I could get a g router and g pci-card for??? is this assumption true.. if i have 2 comps currently connected via a networked router and dsl, i could hook the dsl into the wireless router and have 1 PC physically connected to the router and 1 wireless.. would that work?
]
maybe this horrible picture will illustrate it

Last edited by j123vt_99; 05-10-04 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-10-04, 02:44 PM
toq

Your scenario is certainly possible. I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 05-10-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your diagram is pretty much how I have my setup. PCs are on wired connection and I can go wired or wireless connection for my laptop.
Old 05-10-04, 05:21 PM

I see no reason why, with a little patience, you can't pick up a pci card and a router for under a hundred bucks. Just keep an eye out for rebates on the deal forums like on this fine website, fatwallet, techdeals, deals2save, etc.
Old 05-10-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can get wireless PCI cards on eBay for around $20 shipped.

PC Card ones too.
Old 05-10-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Check around for the Microsoft brand stuff. They are on clearance at almost everywhere. I got my USB 2.0 adapter and the base station for under $100 about a week ago at Comp USA. It is G, so it's pretty damn fast. I'm happy so far.
Old 05-10-04, 07:13 PM

Be a tad cautious with USB adapters though, especially if speed is an issue for you. There was an interesting analysis on I believe anandtech.com about 9 months about about USB wifi adapters, and if I remember right there was definitely a speed loss when compared to pci/pcmcia. Maybe that has changed with newer tech as I haven't researched it in awhile.
Old 05-10-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Son-volt
Be a tad cautious with USB adapters though, especially if speed is an issue for you. There was an interesting analysis on I believe anandtech.com about 9 months about about USB wifi adapters, and if I remember right there was definitely a speed loss when compared to pci/pcmcia. Maybe that has changed with newer tech as I haven't researched it in awhile.
I had heard that too. I didn't have another PCI slot in my computer, so this was the best way to go.
Old 05-10-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went B as 95% of my networking is internet. I have 2 computers wired in and 2 PC's using USB adapters, one laptop with centrino (b mini card), and one laptop with a pc card.

I love it. Never a problem. The pc's with USB have never dropped as far as I know. And my laptop only drops if I'm using it in the kitchen and turn on the microwave. But as soon as the microwave turns off, my signal picks by up.

B still is a little cheaper. I got my entire system for like $125-$130 after all the rebates (wireless router, 2 usb adapters and one pc card adapter)

edit: I did have to change my cordless phones to 900MHz, as the wireless network would enterfer with my cordless phones. The phones did not seem to bother the network, but the phones always had a buzzing.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 05-10-04 at 10:44 PM.