Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need help installing a video card

Old 05-07-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Need help installing a video card

Just bought an E-VGA Geforce 4 5700 FX and am having problems installing it. It "mostly" works, however when trying to load a directX game, the screen becomes all garbled. Also, the cursor in Windows is messed up looking, different shape with a square around it that changes colors randomly.

I'm using an ASUS a7m266 motherboard with an Athalon 1Ghz. I just upgraded the BIOS (recommended in video card troubleshooting if problems with DirectX) and that hasn't fixed the problem. Downloaded the newest drivers, reinstalled DirectX, etc...not sure what else to try.

After upgrading BIOS, I originally tried with BIOS defaults and that didn't work. SInce then, I've been trying different options in BIOS, but still no luck. THe card did include some recommended BIOS settings, but of course a lot of the recommendations are different from available options in my BIOS (Award 1007)

Here's a link to recommended BIOS settings by the video card manufacturer.

http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=9

and here's a link to the manual of the motherboard showing available BIOS settings that I can change (some are slightly different now since upgrading to the newer BIOS)

Link to MB manual PDF, Bios settings start around page 40 or 41

I was hoping to hear back from Asus tech support tonight, but they close in another hour...
Old 05-07-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what was your previous card? If you had an ATI, you need to get rid of the old drivers with a removal tool. Also might be a good idea to use a removal tool if you had an nvidia before. Try the latest drivers available from nvidia's website rather than using the software that came with the card. I don't think it would be a bios issue.
Old 05-08-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Previous card was Nvidea (MX) and I did download the newest drivers off the web. Will look for a removal tool and try that.
Old 05-08-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's horror stories like this that makes me really apprehensive when it comes to installing a new video card in my computer.