Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Trying Avast. Some Issues w/ SpamPal

Old 04-24-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trying Avast. Some Issues w/ SpamPal

Uninstalled Norton and thought I would finally try Avast. Norton has protected our computer well but it is not functioning the way I want.

Negatives:
-It sees emails w/ possible viruses and lets us know about them every time. But it still needed us to click a button each time. Way too time consuming and just plain ignorant. Never seems to learn a thing.
-System hog. Even with a relatively fast computer the startup was slowed when you booted to Desktop. It took its time loading up and it seemed clumsy.
Positives:
-As stated it protected our computer well the last 1 1/2 years.
-Easily updated.
-Name brand made it feel good to use and feel safe.

*It seems that Norton works as stated just to let the user see that it is functioning. Consistantly making you push a button when doing it automatically would save time. But make the consumer wonder if it was doing anything.

Avast appears to have some software to protect emails also and it cut our emails down by 80% immediately. And most of them were of the "attachment w/ a possible virus" versions. It has been great. But it appears cumbersome with Spampal and it keeps having trouble consistantly just getting mail. So I am going to uninstall both and just put in Avast on its own. They both load and unload quickly.
Old 04-24-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Uninstalled both and reinstalled Avast. Appears to be working fine. The drop in garbage emails is staggering. Email right now is actually something to look forward to. Running some tests. Would like access to our mail server to see what it is leaving behind. And whether we are losing any emails we want. Might call the tech support for our mail.
Old 04-24-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm... so Avast also deletes spam? i didn't even know that and I pimp this product out all the time.
Old 04-24-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh - if you have a second computer, you can change your email settings on the Pc with avast on it so that when you check for new mail, it leaves a copy of it on the server... that way, when you pick up the mail using another PC - it will ALL still be on the server for you to collect - alternatively, you could simply check it via webmail if you only have the one PC.
Old 04-26-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pleased with Avast so far. It has probably removed 1/4 to 1/2 of the emails we used to get. Some sort of blocking software possibly. But after a few good days we are up to the same old same old. Maybe the net just had a few slow days. Again with the email alerts indicating that email has viruses attached.

WTF? Who wants to run viruses? Why do I need to see this all the time? Just make it go away, build a log file and let me look at it later if I wish to. It's like being reminded tha someone came to the door that you did not wish to speak to. Again and again. And it is not free tha attracts me it is the functional ability to make this shit go away. We paid for Norton 2003 and were pleased initially. But expectations rose.

I want a spam program that knows what to remove. learns. and stops ****ing asking me to tell it what to do. it does not help me and only makes me do its job. if I have to spend hours in the Forum section of a Spam blocking site it is not easing my life.

it's ****ing Spam and I do not want it. i do not want your flyers and your phone calls.
Old 04-26-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

there's a setting to turn off notifications and sound...
Old 04-27-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
there's a setting to turn off notifications and sound...

I know. Just bitching.
Old 04-27-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Avast does not delete spam.
Old 04-27-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Shazam
Avast does not delete spam.
It does appear to block some spam.
Old 04-27-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, it doesn't. There is absolutely no spam filtering in Avast.
Old 04-27-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Avast installs with a default setting to scan a message body as well as attachments - perhaps it's deleting spam that uses garbled words or questionable script because it looks suspicious.
Old 04-27-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Shazam
No, it doesn't. There is absolutely no spam filtering in Avast.
Here is what I saw.

1. Receiving over 150 emails a day. With SpamPal and Norton our computer appeared safe but it was unmanageable. So we changed 2 main email addresses to different names. They had been shared and passed along too often.
*down to 75 or so.
2. Removed Norton and SpamPal and replaced them with Avast and Spampal. This proved cumbersome and I removed them both and only went with Avast.
*50+ a day.

I think Trigger may be right about the unspellables. If there is a filtering program perhaps it has some means to not accept some of the emails.

Mean to see of access to our server is available to check whether some are being rejected. This is not the answer but at least we just delete from the main folder. It does us no good to have to manually remove all emails. And SpamPal never worked better than that for me.
Old 04-27-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd call that coincidence. And if Avast did have spam filtering, don't you think Avast would mention that feature on their web site?

Not to mention, a spam filter that lets 50 spams still go through sucks. Hard. I'd classify that the world's shittest spam filter.

As an example, the spam filter provided by my ISP lets through zero spam. Zero. It has successfully marked EVERY piece of spam over the last couple of weeks (~30 per day).

Last edited by Shazam; 04-27-04 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-27-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You sound like an ass. Get out of my thread.

Thank you.
Old 04-27-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, I don't mean to sound mean or anything.

There are lots of really good anti-spam programs out there, if that's what you're looking for. Why not try this one? It's free and uses Bayesian analysis:

http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/

If you want to think an anti-virus program stops spam, all the more power to you.

I run Avast at home too, you know.