Reload this Page >

Which WAP or wireless router to get?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-11-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a wired network with a SMC Baricade as my router/firewall/print server. I would like to add some roaming capability for a laptop. I understand that routers can act as an access point. Which access point or wireless router works well and is compatible with the SMC? Does it really matter? I don't want to replace the SMC.

Also, would I use a straight through or crossover cable from the WAP lan port to lan port on the router? I assume it's a crossover but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-04, 06:47 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
You really only need an access point since you have a router already. That's pretty much all I was looking for but I found that the wireless routers cost less than the access points. Volume I guess.

So I got the Netgear wireless router and just use it as an access point and ignore the router part of it. I think the Netgear is a pretty decent unit.

And yes, I use a crossover cable from my firewall. It could depend on your particular units though.
Old 03-11-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks X. Is the $75 Netgear router OK or is there one better than another? Does it need to be a bridge router or just any old wireless router would work? Any other feature that I should look for?

Thanks again.
Old 03-11-04, 07:58 PM
X
Administrator

I believe any old wireless router would work.

I only have experience with the 802.11b Netgear (under $30) so you might want to get some more comments from other members.
Old 03-11-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
if I wasnt worried about the extra money.. i would be on a linksys

but for the best bang for the buck.. I love my netgear wireless router

I just updated the firmware today, and damn, it seems to be running even faster!

as far as which one to go with.. youll definitly notice a difference if you spend the extra money to go with g.. but b should be fine for most home users and much more cost efficient
Old 03-11-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by twikoff
if I wasnt worried about the extra money.. i would be on a linksys

but for the best bang for the buck.. I love my netgear wireless router

I just updated the firmware today, and damn, it seems to be running even faster!

as far as which one to go with.. youll definitly notice a difference if you spend the extra money to go with g.. but b should be fine for most home users and much more cost efficient
Another vote for the netgear. I have the "b" and works very well for me. Two computers wired in and between 3 and 4 running wireless.
Old 03-12-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the suggestions. I seem to remember that Costco had a Netgear router and card combo for under $100. So I'm leaning that way. It will probably be my last "frivolous" purchase for a while. Money is an object. As Twikoff knows, I need to conserve funds for the time being.
Old 03-12-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use a linksys G and wouldn't suggest it. The signal drops at least once a day for a couple minutes. I can live with it but it's annoying.
Old 03-17-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, so netgear is running a rebate promo for cards and both the wg602 WAP and wgr614 router. The difference between the WAP and router is around $5. I've read that it better to use a WAP rather than a router if all you need is an access point. The only reason to consider a router, as X points out, is price.
Are there any other reasons I should go for one over the other.

Also, I'll probaby be buying the stuff from Amazon (got a GC), if it can be done, does anyone want love on the netgear card and WAP or router?
Old 03-17-04, 10:22 AM
X
Administrator

Why would it be better to use a WAP than a router that has additional functionality that you might want in the future?

The only reason I can imagine is that it might be more compatible with other WAPs or range extenders. I believe my Netgear router can't talk wirelessly to a WAP so I can't extend its range by adding a WAP at the extreme end of the wireless network (creating a wireless bridge).
Old 03-17-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Alyoshka
I use a linksys G and wouldn't suggest it. The signal drops at least once a day for a couple minutes. I can live with it but it's annoying.
Do you have a 2.4 Ghz phone?
Old 03-17-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got a netgear wgt624 (the new 108mbs super G thing). Seems ok, wish it had an removable antenna though.

dave
Old 03-17-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by X
Why would it be better to use a WAP than a router that has additional functionality that you might want in the future?

The only reason I can imagine is that it might be more compatible with other WAPs or range extenders. I believe my Netgear router can't talk wirelessly to a WAP so I can't extend its range by adding a WAP at the extreme end of the wireless network (creating a wireless bridge).
Good point. I don't think I would need to create a bridge. My property is only 100x150 feet and the house sits in the middle of that. So I would probably never be more than 100 ft away from the router. Do brick walls impede the signal?

Thanks again for the advise.