Reload this Page >

Performance Questions

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Performance Questions

Old 03-06-04, 08:20 PM
Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Questions

Some questions. I know enough about a computer that you have to run certain programs to keep it performing at its peek. This is the problem. I am currently using norton for all of my performance problem. What I would like to know, what are other programs that I could use for enhanciing the performace, such as defragmentors or disk doctors or any other things that you guys would suggest. I know some about comps but not enough. Thanx for the help.

Z
Old 03-06-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ad Ware from www.lavasoft.com Free download.

Also get Spybot from www.download.com , its free also.

Use them in conjuction about 1x per week to clean out any spyware.

Run about 8-10 (at most) icons in the system tray (programs running at any given time).

I run about 7 total. Couple years ago I had a major slowdown and couldn't figure it out. I had 20+ programs running in the background Newbie that I was at the time...

I run Norton everything. AV, Disk Dr. , Systemworks....

Runs great. I do total HD AV checks every week or so, run the checkups and clean out my cache and cookies every month or so.

No problems on both my desktop (Dell 8300 2.6, 1gb ram, etc) and my laptop (HP zt3000 1.6 P-Mobile, 768 RAM, etc...)

Good luck Z.
Old 03-06-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oooh...didn't notice your location til after I replied.

Fargo.

Great town.

Started as a cop there in 1993. Only worked 6 months as I came back to MN and now work in my home county.

Ahhh...the memories I loved the blackjack at the bars. Still have that up there?

Sorry to hijack... But i did answer your question...
Old 03-07-04, 03:41 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you all a bit looney? No offense, but if you want to trash your system then by all means continue using systemworks. I apologize for being so harsh. I see more computers trashed by systemworks than helped by one.

You are better off using an antivirus of your choice. Spybot, spyware blaster, and a good defraf like diskeeper.
Old 03-07-04, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Romero
Are you all a bit looney? No offense, but if you want to trash your system then by all means continue using systemworks. I apologize for being so harsh. I see more computers trashed by systemworks than helped by one.

You are better off using an antivirus of your choice. Spybot, spyware blaster, and a good defraf like diskeeper.

I've been using NSW for years without any problems.