Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Strange WEP Issue. Wirless Network Security!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-05-04, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So last night I decided to finally getting around to securing my wireless network.

My Network...
My pc Connected VIA CAT 5 to a
Linksys WAPR (Wireless Access Point Router)
My dad's pc connected wirelessly via a USB Wireless Adapter.

So anyway, I change the SSID on the WAPR and turn off the broadcast feature, enable WEP security and generate a series of 64bit keys and tell the router to use key 3 and save it all, apply, etc.

Got to my Dad's PC and removed old network (linksys, default) reference and add a preferred network with the correct SSID and enable WEP, doesn't get key auto, select hexadecimal, 40 bit, plug in key 3 and specify it as key 3 accept all the changes...and voila it found and connected to my now WEP protected network...so I think Iím done.

I check internet on my dad's pc and it doesn't work, page cannot be displayed. I hate that. Turns out trying to ping the router ip it can't talk to the router, released the ip and it won't renew?? Great it can authenticate with the WEP to the router but it canít talk to the DHCP built in to grab an IP address. After verifying keys over and over again etc., I can't seem to solve it...it still won't grab an ip from the router.

On an off chance...i changed the security to 128bit, new key etc....and it works! It grabbed an IP and everything immediately. I called it a night and figure Iíll leave things on 128 bit anyway but I'm still dumbfounded on what the issue was. I'm sure I just missed something.

Has anyone come across this before? Or can tell that I missed something?
Old 03-05-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I once had to turn on broadcast just to see the network to install it. I only had to do this for once machine with a cisco 350 wireless card.
Old 03-05-04, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Tried that one too. I'm pretty stumped...cuz the only settings difference right now is 128 and 64 bit keys. and 128 works...i'm a bit stumped on it.

It's xp Pro all around.
Old 03-05-04, 03:42 PM

I had trouble with the ssid broadcast being turned off with xp pro. There is support article that said that no ssid broacast is not enhancement.
Old 03-05-04, 03:58 PM

I'll hunt for the article Shay...however I'm thinking this isn't a brodcast on/off issue as right now I have SSID brodcast off with 128 bit WEP and it works fine. It's only when I move things to 64/40 bit that the linksys WUSB11 adapter can't communicate with the DHCP. I may try it again tonight. Using a different generated key, or specifying my own.

I did try setting it up both with SSID Brodcast on/off, to no avail.
Old 03-07-04, 04:47 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

If you are worried about keeping people off your wireless network. Wep may not be your best choise. Mac filtering or wpa assuming your router supports it may be a better choice sine wep is compromised. There are whitepapers out there, and worse yet nice proggies for the script kiddies.
Old 03-07-04, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do not use that Linksys install wizard software to install your WEP key with Windows XP.

Go into Control Panel> Network Connections> Wireless Network Connection > Properties> Wireless Networks tab> and enter it there( somewhere in there ).

Also somewhere there it will list the available wireless networks around you and the order it tries to connect to each. Make sure your WiFi-Network is listed at the top/only one listed or it could be trying to connect on a neighbors wireless network first before yours.
Old 03-07-04, 01:28 PM

No wizards here, i enter stuff manually, and it's the only wireless in the neighborhood.

I'm not to worried about keeping folks off as 128 bit is working I was just looking for insight on why the 64 bit WEP may not be working.

I apppreciate all the info though..Thanks.

It may well remain a mystery.