Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD authoring software

Old 02-27-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DVD authoring software

I'm looking for mid-level dvd authoring software that will allow me to create (in Photoshop) my own buttons that highlight the border of a button when navigating around. I'd like to use an alpha mask to determine this if possible, or be able to switch sprites/objects when selected. I'm fairly handy with After Effects and would also like to create animated menus and buttons. Any suggestions? None of the mickey mouse $99 pre-templated crap. Somewhere in the $500 range
Old 02-27-04, 10:45 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

MyDVD lets you import psd files that you've made as a template. Its really limited though. You might want to give either TMPGEnc DVD Author or ULead Movie Studio a try. I've used both and found them to be rather nice.
Old 02-27-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for ULead. Great app.
Old 02-28-04, 09:27 AM

If you're in that price range, I'd suggest Adobe Encore DVD. I've been using it for months now, and I love it. The tight integration between it and Photoshop is really nice.

It's a very advanced, powerful program. It is still a 1.0 release, though, so there are a few bugs here and there, but nothing major.
Old 02-29-04, 01:04 PM
Banned

Another vote for Adobe Encore DVD. Especially if you want to use it with Photoshop. That was the main reason I chose to use it, as I wanted to create all my menus in Photoshop using layers, and I couldn't be happier.
Old 02-29-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't try out a demo of Adobe Encore. I'm still running win2000 and the app only runs on XP. Why????
Old 02-29-04, 05:55 PM

I just started playing around with a program called dvdlab. So far I've been really impressed. A fully functional 30-day trial version is available from their website. Give them a try. --RickWJ324

Link: http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/
Old 02-29-04, 06:01 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll second DVD Lab. It is *very* powerful and costs only $99. Definitely give it a try before you plunk down much more $$$ for something else.
Old 02-29-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've just recently started using dvd encore and I really like it. Some stuff I can't get to work, but that's because I don't understand it completely yet. But I think it's great.
Old 03-01-04, 12:28 AM

DVD-lab!

The only thing it doesn`t do yet is add a second audio track, otherwise it`s easily the best I`ve used do far...
Old 03-01-04, 08:29 AM

DVD-Lab is good, but it requires a secondary program for MPEG-2 encoding. Most other authoring packages include some type of MPEG-2 Encoder.

For simple interface Ulead is a decent product. For more advanced interface designe DVD-lab is a much better product. I don't have any experience with Adobe Encore