Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How do I stop people from attempting to connect to my FTP?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-23-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have an FTP server which is constantly on, just for a couple of friends to use, and I use it myself to transfer files from work to home and vice-versa. I normally use Bullet Proof FTP Server. I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router acting as a firewall. I've noticed that many times, I'll see people from unknown IPs attempting to login as "anonymous". They never do connect, but I'm wondering why they are able to get that far. Is there a hole in my firewall, or is this nothing to be concerned about?
Old 02-23-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You could always change the port of the ftp server, so you won't have random connections coming in.

dave
Old 02-23-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh. Of course they can connect. You're offering a publicly-accessible service, even if there is no public login.

Actually, I don't think this is much of a risk. Really, this is just like someone knocking on your door, not getting an answer, and leaving. You just need to ensure that your passwords are strong (have a security policy that requires 8-char-or-more, mixed-alphanumeric passwords.)

If you're really concerned, though - Dave99 has the right suggestion: move the server from port 21 to another port. Something in the 8000 range would be good and unguessable (I'm pretty sure your router has stealth mode, so not even port-scanners will find your FTP site.)

- David Stein
Old 02-23-04, 12:16 PM

Sorry. When you put up the Paris Hilton movie, I thought it wouldn't hurt to share the link with a few friends.
Old 02-23-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Dave99
You could always change the port of the ftp server, so you won't have random connections coming in.

dave
yep.. this is one of the better ways to go..
if your running it on port 21.. your begging for the world to try and get in..

back in the day.. I used a ftp server called g6 (or something like that).. I believe they were later purchased by bulletproof..
but they had a masking feature built into it.. also, you could set the security that anyone that attempted to connect x number of times with an invalid account would stop getting a response, so it looked as though the ftp was down..

but of course, the port is the most important thing to change
Old 02-23-04, 12:58 PM
X
Administrator

If you had a real firewall you would just enter the IPs of the people who are allowed to connect. Everyone else would be blocked at the firewall and wouldn't even see that you have FTP available.
Old 02-23-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Beauty...thanks to all (except Groucho)!