Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Blu Laser...?

Old 02-12-04, 11:18 AM
Cool New Member

Blu Laser...?

Hello,

I've been hearing talk about the blu-laser. I heard that you won't be able to play your current DVDs and that worries me because my DVD collection has grown since I got a DVD player. What do we do with our collection when they release the blu-laser DVD player? Will they focus more on the blu-laser than the red? If this becomes true then customers would have to buy a new player just to keep up in order to continue to enjoy the DVD experience.

I would like to know your thoughts on this matter so please provide feedback by replying to this thread.

Thanks.
Old 02-12-04, 11:30 AM

I've never understood why backward-compatibility is such a big issue. When Blu-Ray comes out, it's not like our good ole' fashioned red-laser DVD players are suddenly going to stop working.

If the next format isn't backward-compatible, we'll just keep using our current equipment for our old material. No big deal.
Old 02-12-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

It is going to be backwards compatible.
Old 02-12-04, 12:37 PM

WHAT!!! Why can't I play my VHS tapes in my DVD player??

As mentioned before it's able to read standard DVD (red laser) media

Last edited by breaux124; 02-12-04 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-12-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by breaux124
WHAT!!! Why can't I play my VHS tapes in my DVD player??

As mentioned before it's able to read standard DVD (red laser) media
I was just thinking about the Beta tapes.
Old 02-12-04, 03:36 PM
Retired

I've heard they will be backwards compatible.

But as I understand it there's some issue over picking a standard so it will likely be a while.

I don't think these will ever be more than a niche market item. It takes more than just better picture and sound quality for something to go mainstream. CD's offered more than cassettes and DVD's offered more than VHS in more areas than just a/v quality (i.e. instant track selection, no rewinding, extra features etc.).

CDs have been around for over 20 years, better sounding options have been introduced but haven't remotely caught on.

People aren't going to rebuy their collections (other than hard core audio/videophiles and other tech heads) just for better A/V quality.

Thus backwards compatibility isn't a huge issue, as it looks like DVDs will be here to stay thus you'll still have a dvd player in all likelihood, and be able to buy any new release on DVD. The HD-DVDs will probably just be niche market with much fewere titles being released just like DVD Audio and SA-CDs.