Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Helping a co-worker w/ comp slowness

Old 02-10-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Helping a co-worker w/ comp slowness

Hello. A co-worker wants me to help him get his computer running faster because his kids are complaining it's slow. This is his setup (he is looking into getting a new computer as well but he wants to have this one faster as well and have both computers using a wireless internet connection hopefully) It is a Gateway that has a "designed for windows 98" sticker. It has 128 mb ram and a 6 or 7gb hard drive (! that is almost entirely full from his kids downloading music) but he installed XP not knowing it was going to use up all his resources. I was going to uninstall XP but it said many programs were installed after xp and they would be messed up- and not knowing all that much I didn't want to mess things up -especially the internet. Could he simply buy an external hard drive and that would speed things up having more space? And possibly more memory if the computer can take more. He's looking for the easiest fix and the less installation and configuration the better.
Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-10-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You definitely need more memory to give XP even a chance to run smoothly. Judging from your Windows 98 sticker your machine is probably limited to under 512MB or maybe even 384MB so you may want to find out the max you can install. This will give you a little speedup at least.
Old 02-10-04, 04:40 PM

I've not known a PC that came with 128Mb memory to be anything more than a Penium II and that's pushing it. Although XP can run on a PII (I got it working on a lower spec) the performance is reduced to absolute snail pace. I would keep the existing 98 and upgrade the memory as far as possible, taking note of Matome's post as that is quite correct. PCs of this rather low specification are not likely to have a BIOS version that can support much more memory - so be sure to update the BIOS version as well.

An external HDD is an option and will help, but you would need to remove all local data (documents/mp3s and such) and once complete, run several defrags of the system before using it normally again. The increased space should help with disk access, and you would have "cleaned out the trash" so to speak.
Old 02-10-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks!
Old 02-11-04, 12:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Cut down on the programs running in the background, increase memory if you can, definitely get a modern hd. Get a internal one because those are generally cheaper. A new hd can't do miracles but it will help a lot.
Old 02-11-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Get 512mb of memory. Get a 40 gig hard drive. Reinstall XP. That's the best you can do right now unless he gets a new mobo and processor.
Old 02-15-04, 11:20 PM

umm.. it's kind of critical to know how much HD space is left free on the drive....
Old 02-16-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mopower
Get 512mb of memory. Get a 40 gig hard drive. Reinstall XP. That's the best you can do right now unless he gets a new mobo and processor.
And, of course, the first thing they should do after the re-install XP is to reinstall AV with up-to-date .dats. The second thing they should do is run Windowsupdate or equivalent.
Old 02-16-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by reapersaurus
umm.. it's kind of critical to know how much HD space is left free on the drive....
He said it's a 6 or 7 gig drive nearly full, so I'd imagine that means 1 gig, maybe less left.