Reload this Page >

Help! I think my computer is dying... Turns itself off

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-08-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok if it's not one thing around here, it's another. Our "family" computer started something very strange and disturbing last night. It will turn itself off.

It is a Dell Dimension 2300, Pentium 4, Using WindowsXP Home Edition.

This computer is a year and a half old (approx) and has run pretty much 24/7 its whole life, other than the little cdrw problem, we have had no problems with it. So last nigt is a first. It started performing a little sluggish (is the best way to describe it), then turned itself off. And you can turn it on, it will run for a while, then turn itself right back off.

This is the "family" computer, so I do not know what all has been done to it, as far as what all has been downloaded on it etc... I just know every time I come in, hit the mouse the screen pops up and I use it.

Now my question is of course what is causing this, did one of us download a virus or something to cause this? (which I doubt) seems more of a mechanical problem to me. I am almost thinking overheating because it sat powered off all night last night, and I have been able to get on here burn a CD to back up some important files that were not backed up, come on here, type all this and its still working.

Any ideas of whats going on, and how to fix it??? Im gonna hurry up and send the message before this thing shuts itself off and I have to re-type this longwinded message!

thanks in advance!
Old 02-08-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First thing I would do is to make sure nothing is overheating. Make sure the power supply fan is going and it is not getting hot, do the same for the processor fan and the fan on the video card if you have one.
Old 02-08-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably the power supply. Mine does that. Check to make sure none of the vents are blocked and/or the back of the case isn't up against the wall.

-pedagogue
Old 02-08-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The inside was dirty, very dusty etc... I did confirm that both fans are running, somebody on another board suggested I might have a virus, I don't know. This is something that just started last night.

Could the filth inside be causing it to overheat maybe?
Old 02-08-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by costanza187
The inside was dirty, very dusty etc... I did confirm that both fans are running, somebody on another board suggested I might have a virus, I don't know. This is something that just started last night.

Could the filth inside be causing it to overheat maybe?
yes. Most inexpensive computers are not really built to be on 24/7.

The power supply may be failing also. try really cleaning it out without touching anything- use canned air. see if it helps.
Old 02-08-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With the computer starting to run sluggishly and then powering down, like others said, it could be an overheating problem. You said you checked the fans inside, but I'd install Speedfan or Motherboard Monitor to make sure your processor isn't overheating. And then, perhaps try swapping the power supply.
Old 02-08-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems to be ok now, after a pretty thorough cleaning of the inside, I was amazed at the dust bunnies hiding in there. I cleaned it up, I ran the virus scanners, put the cover back on it. I used the absolute heck out of it this afternoon/evening. Downloading, cd burning etc... lots of surfing, tried about everything there was to do on it, and it ran fine. I also pulled out a little further from the wall to maybe let more air get to it.

I also think we are going to start turning it off when its not in use... I guess its sad when we are so lazy that we cant hit the power button and wait a minute.