Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

USB 2.0 Question

Old 02-06-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

USB 2.0 Question

I'm shopping around for an MP3 player. I bought one and among a number of other problems data transfer was very slow.

I'm looking at one that supports USB 2.0

I wanted to make sure I would have that so I was looking up ways to find out if my system had it. One site said you look in the Device Manager to see if under the Universal Serial Bus Controller area you have an entry with the word "Enhanced" in it.

I found an entry that said:
Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD

Now my very dumb question is this.....if I have this are ALL USB ports 2.0? Or is there only 1 USB 2.0 port and the rest older versions?
Old 02-07-04, 12:13 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

umm... what kind of computer do you have? approx when you get it?

I'd most likely say all your ports are USB 2.0, but than again if you are running Win XP and you insert a USB1.0 or USB1.1 device, it will let you know that it's in low speed mode...

or if you have other entries (USB Controllers) in your device manager that do not mention USB 2.0, probably only a selected few...
Old 02-07-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you have USB 2.0, It is probably safe to assume that all your ports are that speed (as USB 2.0 is backward compatible with USB 1.1 and USB 1.0).
Old 02-07-04, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought this Dell less than a year ago I'd say.

If I do have only 1 port than I guess I'll mess with it when my new MP3 player, which I just ordered about 2 minutes ago, comes.

Only the one entry mentioned it and there were a few of them in that category. I guess we'll see how long it takes to fill up my 30GB player.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 02-07-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remember that if something says it supports USB 2.0, it may just be supporting the interface but not necessarily providing the maximum transfer rate.