Reload this Page >

Fried Monitor- VGA/BNC difference?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-04-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a used 21" Nokia a year or so ago. Recently the red and green channels went out giving me a blue tint to everything. I'm using a VGA connector but my monitor also has a BNC connection. The monitor displays full color(red,green,blue) when I turn the monitor on only(monitor settings). The screen goes blue when it goes into dos/bios startup. Would there be a chance BNC to VGA connectors would fix this? or did it bit the dust? I know its not a bad video card.
Old 02-05-04, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, there's a chance that swapping cables may fix your problem. You may even want to try just another VGA cable.

What color is the OSD (monitor settings) when you're in Windows? Is it blue like everything else or is it still in full color?
Old 02-05-04, 03:25 AM

I can see three "test" color bars in Windows- Red, Green, and Blue, also while the cpu is off. I don't think I can swap the VGA, the cable goes into the back of the monitor (no connection). I'll try a BNC to VGA connector. I think they run around $15. There's a button on the front to switch from VGA to BNC. I think you could run two systems off one monitor, nice space saver. If I can get it working, I'd have a nice dual monitor setup.
Old 02-12-04, 05:33 PM

It turns out it was my cable. The BNC to VGA doesn't work. Maybe because it goes through a DVI connector?
Old 02-12-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, so you got the BNC to 15-pin D-SUB (VGA) cable, hooked it up, toggled the VGA/BNC switch on the monitor and it doesn't show anything at all or does it still show the messed up colors?

You've got it hooked up currently to the second (DVI-I) port of your video card with a DVI to VGA converter? If you think the converter may be messing things up somehow, just switch it to use the main VGA output of the video card for testing.
Old 02-12-04, 07:25 PM

It shows the OSD (monitor settings) ie. three color bars (RGB in color)but says "no signal" with the BNC cable. Under that it says "BNC Selected". My VC has two dvi outputs for dual monitors so I have to use the supplied converter. I'm only trying a one monitor setup for now. Could it be that its using my current Hitachi monitor driver?

I'm an idiot and thought the VGA cable wasn't removable. It was but wasn't fully seated, sort of at a diagonal. Stubborn thumbscrew.