32MB shared video RAM
4) USB 2.0 ports
1) Firewire port

Total cost would be about $850.
Old 02-02-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not bad but a few tings:

P4 - Is it a mobile chip? If its a desktop chip, you are looking at high drain, high heat.

32 MB shared video ram is pretty low. For a laptop, you kinda have a mixed bag because it is (a) shared (b) non-upgradeable.

256 is pretty much the bare RAM for anything now adays. I would upgrade the memory to 512. Especially becayuse 32 of that is going to your video.
Old 02-02-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Brand?
Old 02-02-04, 02:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by chanster
Not bad but a few tings:

P4 - Is it a mobile chip? If its a desktop chip, you are looking at high drain, high heat.

32 MB shared video ram is pretty low. For a laptop, you kinda have a mixed bag because it is (a) shared (b) non-upgradeable.

256 is pretty much the bare RAM for anything now adays. I would upgrade the memory to 512. Especially becayuse 32 of that is going to your video.

I'm not sure if it's the mobile chip or not. With the memory, I'm already assuming that I'll have to upgrade, but most of the models I've seen start at 256MB anyway.

Originally posted by MitzEclipse
Brand?
Compaq

It's the same series as this one...

http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_Compaq_Pr...2.html?tag=dir

Last edited by Dead; 02-02-04 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-02-04, 02:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

FWIW, I just configured a Dell Inspiron 1100 with the same specs (except only a 14.1" XGA display) and it would run me almost $1200.

An Inspiron 5100 with 2.66GHz, 15.0 XGA, and 32MB dedicated video memory would be a bit over $1200.
Old 02-02-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well the CNET review says it is a "Intel's fast 2GHz Pentium 4 desktop processor; and an oversized battery"

Sounds like Compaq compensates for a desktop chip with a heavy battery, thus making it pretty heavy

At that point, I would say get it as a desktop replacement, but the specs don't really seem to be powerful enough for a desktop equivalent. (32mb Video ram)

I would try waiting. If you are still want a desktop p4 chip, prices are going to drop real quick because of the new Pentium core relases at lower prices.

I would personally recommend a Centrino or Athlon Mobile. Buts that me.
Old 02-03-04, 11:02 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by chanster
At that point, I would say get it as a desktop replacement, but the specs don't really seem to be powerful enough for a desktop equivalent. (32mb Video ram)

I would try waiting. If you are still want a desktop p4 chip, prices are going to drop real quick because of the new Pentium core relases at lower prices.

I would personally recommend a Centrino or Athlon Mobile. Buts that me.

A Centrino would be nice, but wouldn't that be quite a bit more expensive?

The video memory doesn't bother me, as it won't be for games or anything.
Old 02-03-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check out the x1000 laptop by Compaq. I have that, it's a Centrino, it's a desktop replacement, wide screen, fast, bluetooth, wifi, etc all for about $1000.

Best of all, it's only about 1" thick! It does weigh 6lbs though.

There were a bunch of deals out there, but I can't find any right now. It even has its own specific message board: www.x1000forums.com
Old 02-03-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check out the x1000 laptop by Compaq. I have that, it's a Centrino, it's a desktop replacement, wide screen, fast, bluetooth, wifi, etc all for about $1000.

Best of all, it's only about 1" thick! It does weigh 6lbs though.

There were a bunch of deals out there, but I can't find any right now. It even has its own specific message board: www.x1000forums.com

This is the board I found and researched on before I purchased my HP zt3000, the x1000's sister computer.

Great forums. They're changing ISP's right now so they're down.

I'm waiting for my zt3000 as we speak. can't wait!
Old 02-03-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by FiveO
This is the board I found and researched on before I purchased my HP zt3000, the x1000's sister computer.

Great forums. They're changing ISP's right now so they're down.

I'm waiting for my zt3000 as we speak. can't wait!
Ah, that's why their forum has been down... great please for x1000/etc specific information!
Old 02-04-04, 09:05 AM
Mod Emeritus

This looks like a nice box, but it also seems to be closer to $1200 when equipped with options similiar to what I mentioned above. That was at hpshopping, Staples, and the like though. Should I be looking somewhere else? I would consider paying $150 more for something like this, but not $350 more.
Old 02-04-04, 09:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

Here's another option...

Inspiron 1100: Intel® Celeron® Processor 2.4GHz, 14.1 XGA
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
FREE TurboTax® Basic for Tax Year 2003
256MB Shared DDR,266Mhz,2 Dimms,PC2100
20GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive 20GB
24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
65WHr Lithium Ion Primary Battery
WordPerfect® and Money®
Internal 56K Modem 56MPC [313-1399] 14
Integrated Network Card
TrueMobile 1300 802.11b/g PC Card
1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year Mail-In Service

This would be about $800. So, a bit less than the Compaq, but with a slower processor, smaller display, and smaller hard drive.
Old 02-04-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dead
This looks like a nice box, but it also seems to be closer to $1200 when equipped with options similiar to what I mentioned above. That was at hpshopping, Staples, and the like though. Should I be looking somewhere else? I would consider paying $150 more for something like this, but not $350 more.
I believe there are some rebates and a 10% coupon floating around, it used to be on techbargains, can't find it now.

I got mine, fully loaded, about 8 months ago for $1091, shipped free, no tax.
Old 02-04-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On this FW thread, the x1050 is now $750:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...hreadid=253639
Old 02-04-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are not in a hurry, watch for deals. Spring of last year I set a budget of $1,000 for a laptop. I had thought I would have to go cely or inexpensive AMD.

However by watching Techbargains (mentioned above), Fatwallet, of course Hot Deals here and several other sites, I ended up with a Dell 600m nicely loaded (for me) at $1013 after rebate. This included a combo drive, "b" wireless, bluetooth, upgraded to 64mb video (non-shared on the 600m), etc. (found 2 stackable 15% off coupons, rebate and free combo drive upgrade). I have had it and traveled with it for nearly a year now and love it.

My buddy got an HP-AMD-M a few months back for like $800 after rebate. He is pleased with the HP.

If you travel at all try to go with a mobile processor. My 600m has a 6 cell battery to keep weight down and is a "true" centrino system. I get a touch over 2 hours of DVD watching, and a touch over 4 hours of wireless net surfing.

Also, FYI, mine came with the base 256mg memory. Up until recently it has been fine. But I loaded a 3-D house plan creator and a trial version of Photoshop Elements. Using these programs really causes me to thing about upgrading the memory.
Old 02-05-04, 09:43 AM
Mod Emeritus

On this FW thread, the x1050 is now $750:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...hreadid=253639

It looks like that's a no go. Evidently it was a clearance and some people got lucky, but there aren't any available in my area.
Old 02-05-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Is this a good deal on a laptop?

P4 2.4
256MB RAM
40Gig HD (4200 RPM)
DVD/CD-RW
16" SXGA
10/100 NIC
54g wireless
32MB shared video RAM
4) USB 2.0 ports
1) Firewire port

Total cost would be about $850.
Dead - That is not a bad deal at all.

Laptops are all a compromise of various features. I am not sure what is most important to you:

1. Price
2. Size \Weight
3. performance
4. battery life
5. features
6. Reliablity - warranty - down time (how critical is it?)
7. ability to upgrade

Weighing of these options on my scale, Dell is very hard to beat. You can also find many deals with Dell that make them cheaper than what you quoted from their web page.

Throw price out the window and IBM wins

Compaq/Hp is some where in the middle of the game for me. I would buy one if the balance of the above 7 issues were right.
Old 02-06-04, 08:38 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Re: Is this a good deal on a laptop?

Originally posted by 4KRG
Laptops are all a compromise of various features. I am not sure what is most important to you:

1. Price
2. Size \Weight
3. performance
4. battery life
5. features
6. Reliablity - warranty - down time (how critical is it?)
7. ability to upgrade

... Dell is very hard to beat. ...

Throw price out the window and IBM wins

Compaq/Hp is some where in the middle of the game for me. I would buy one if the balance of the above 7 issues were right.
I'd probably rank those seven items as:
1) Price - it has to be inexpensive
2) Reliability - hopefully it will work without issue until retired
3) Features - I'm only concerned with DVD/CDRW, wireless (or the cost to add), and a 15+" display
4) Performance - faster is always better
5) battery life - long enough to play a DVD minimum, three hours would be nice
6) ability to upgrade - I suspect that all I'll ever care about upgrading would be the memory and HD.
7) Size/weight - Back in the day I had a luggable, so even an eight pounder doesn't seem bad to me.

Dell gives me the warm fuzzies, but I'm just not finding any great deals on them right now. If I threw price out the window, I suspect that my wife would do the same to me... so the IBM models aren't viable. So far, the Compaq just seems to offer the best bang for the buck. Being from a Dell shop, it's hard to put aside my prejudice against Compaq though.
Old 02-06-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm surfing wireless right now with my new HP zt3000. The screen is wonderful, 15.4 widescreen, and its fast. I love this Pentium M.

Get the Compaq. You won't be disappointed.

Look for some deals at www.x1000forums.com . They also have many threads about upgrading for cheap.
Old 02-06-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Is this a good deal on a laptop?

I'd probably rank those seven items as:
1) Price - it has to be inexpensive
2) Reliability - hopefully it will work without issue until retired
3) Features - I'm only concerned with DVD/CDRW, wireless (or the cost to add), and a 15+" display
4) Performance - faster is always better
5) battery life - long enough to play a DVD minimum, three hours would be nice
6) ability to upgrade - I suspect that all I'll ever care about upgrading would be the memory and HD.
7) Size/weight - Back in the day I had a luggable, so even an eight pounder doesn't seem bad to me.

Dell gives me the warm fuzzies, but I'm just not finding any great deals on them right now. If I threw price out the window, I suspect that my wife would do the same to me... so the IBM models aren't viable. So far, the Compaq just seems to offer the best bang for the buck. Being from a Dell shop, it's hard to put aside my prejudice against Compaq though.
Makes sense.

I have been a Compaq shop as well as a Gateway shop as well as a Dell shop, at this point in time, 100% Dell But i have sepcial arrangements that make life with Dell easier (and cheaper) than the typical person.

Dell Deals are out there. Here is a quick list

http://www.rasputinj.com/cat3.html

they change every week (as I am sure you know) so I guess item #8 would be timframe to purchase and how important that is

Compaq screwed me hard one time on about 30K worth of server gear. 2 of the 4 machines they sent DID NOT WORK. Their onsite techs could not fix them either (given 4 tries) they were all returned to the vendor, we went Dell, never looked back.

Other than that one incident (but it was major) Compaq had never screwed me in years. I mean there were problems, but they normally got soved in a reasonable amount of time.

I have not dealt with Compaq since the HP buyout. But like I said above, looks like a good deal and personally I would not hesitate for personal use.
Old 02-06-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want a 15" screen I would also suggest looking at the Compaq. (My 600m has "only" a 14" screen).

Review some of the forums regarding the computer carefully to get some "real life" battery representations. You can always buy a 2nd battery. But then of course you have have to carry it meaning you are adding weight to what you are going to have to carry.

Personally, I have never been a fan of extending the warrenty on products. But if it give you some piece of mind, it might be worth it. What I would do is talk to your insurance agent about adding it as or to a "floater" policy. These are inexpensive policies that cover "mobile" items (cameras, laptops, jewlrey, golf clubs, etc). These offer much more protection then what is available under your homeowners policy. In fact many of these (tho not all so read carefully) offer "all peril" coverage. These means there are very, very few exclusions or restrictions of coverage. These often cover if you drop the computer (or the idiot at secuity at the airport does), you spill coffee on it, etc. It does not cover mechanical problems (like the hard drive going out), but IMHO, if everything works for the 30 day return period, you are much more likely to just drop the thing then have a part suddenly go out.
Old 02-06-04, 03:12 PM
Cool New Member

Not a bad system spec wise but I would never buy a Compaq again....I have had experiences with 3 of em...2 died and 1 is barely holding on. Let me put it this way, you pay what you get.

I would highly recommend a system without a shared video card though.
Old 02-07-04, 10:20 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is this a good deal on a laptop?

Originally posted by 4KRG
But like I said above, looks like a good deal and personally I would not hesitate for personal use.

I've decided that I'm going to "test drive" it to get a better idea of how I like it. There is something to be said for liberal return policies!
Old 02-07-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is this a good deal on a laptop?

I've decided that I'm going to "test drive" it to get a better idea of how I like it. There is something to be said for liberal return policies!

Even better yet