Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Would this work? (possible broadband for me, yay)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-26-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Yeah, I'm the guy that's always bitching about not having access to any high speed access....

Anyway, Time Warner's lines run within a mile of my house (with RoadRunner.)

The other day, I saw 802.11b antenna that advertised up to a five mile range.

Within a mile (straight line, but with trees between us) of my house there's a convience store that has access to TW's lines. If I set up a router in that store (I'm friends with the owner), hooked up to the above mentioned antenna, and then had another antenna of the same type at my house, would I be able to get a fast connection finally?

Is ~$160 a decent price for an antenna that advertises that range?

Also, on a side note... since the actual TW service would be going into a C-store, would I be forced to get business class Road Runner, or would they let me get the residential since I'd just be using that location as a base station to shoot a signal to my house?
Old 01-26-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It would work, but don't tell them what you are doing. You'd probably have to get residential since it's a business... you could gert your friend, the owner, to try and convince them that it's only for personal use at the store. His kid's homework or something...
Old 01-26-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Of course, it would suck if you ever had to reset the modem.
Old 01-26-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I thought about that (resetting the modem). But, since it's a convienence store, it's open from 5am until 11pm, so there's only 6 hours per day that I wouldn't have access to reset it.

Why couldn't I tell them what I was doing? I wouldn't be sharing the connection. I figured by telling them what I planned I'd have a better chance of getting residential service rates instead of business rates.

Also, would it work with just the hookup being only
Cable modem -> router -> antenna or will I need to stick an actual computer somewhere in the line too?
Old 01-26-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Technically, it's possible, but not trivial. Your main problem would be the trees. WiFi works in the microwave frequency range and the water in leaves will block/absorb the signal quite effectively. If there's only a few trees, you might be able to ignore them. But, if we're talking forest, then you'd pretty much have to go over them, probably with really tall antenna masts.

As for the antennas, I've seen prices a bit lower than what you quoted above, but I've never tried any of them since I'm sort of a DIY type hobbyist in this area. The homebrew antenna is a whole subculture unto itself, so if you do some searching for it, you'll find plenty of guides/plans for doing things like turning old primestar dishes into a high-gain WiFi antenna.

You may also need signal amplifiers. The radios in most consumer WiFi equpiment will only push about 30mW. There's some higher end AP's (like ones from Cisco) that have 100+ mW radios. You can buy pretty easily (though they're somewhat pricey) in-line amps that will drive your signal up to 1W. However, at that point, the FCC regulations start to really become a concern.