Reload this Page >

question about Macromedia Flash educational version

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-21-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I recently downloaded the trial version of Flash MX 2004, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I looked at the pricing today, and I really can't justify spending $500 for something that I'd be using just for fun once in a while. Fortunately, my girlfriend is a full-time student, so she qualifies for their student discount. My only concern is that the educational version of the software might be missing some functionality that's in the commercial version. Has anyone here used both versions? If so, can you comment on the differences between them, if any? I still have a few weeks left on the trial version, so this isn't really urgent, but I'd appreciate any comments you might have.
Old 01-21-04, 12:22 AM
Suspended

If you're gonna get Flash, consider getting Studio MX 2004 instead. It consists of the software listed below and is $200, versus $100 for Flash MX alone. Now, there's also the Studio MX 2004 w/ Flash MX Professional version, and it'll set you back another $50, at $250. Here's a comparison chart between Flash and Flash Pro.

# Dreamweaver MX 2004
# Flash MX 2004
# Fireworks MX 2004
# FreeHand MX
# ColdFusion MX 6.1 Developer Edition (Windows only)

Oh btw, education version doesn't lack anything. They are full verion software just like what regular people pay at full price. I bought Dreamweaver MX last year and I kicked myself for not going w/ Studio. Stupid stupid stupid...
Old 01-22-04, 09:33 AM

The only limitation of educational software is that you are prohibited from using it for any sort of commercial use. Basically, you can't make money from using it.
Old 01-22-04, 12:51 PM

MaxF

I have the Studio MX 2004 w/ Flash MX Professional version. Just let me know if your interested.

Don
Old 01-23-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
If you're gonna get Flash, consider getting Studio MX 2004 instead. It consists of the software listed below and is $200, versus $100 for Flash MX alone. Now, there's also the Studio MX 2004 w/ Flash MX Professional version, and it'll set you back another $50, at $250. Here's a comparison chart between Flash and Flash Pro.

# Dreamweaver MX 2004
# Flash MX 2004
# Fireworks MX 2004
# FreeHand MX
# ColdFusion MX 6.1 Developer Edition (Windows only)

Oh btw, education version doesn't lack anything. They are full verion software just like what regular people pay at full price. I bought Dreamweaver MX last year and I kicked myself for not going w/ Studio. Stupid stupid stupid...
Thanks for the info. I looked at Macromedia's site, and it didn't seem like I'd be using any of the extra features that Flash Pro comes with. I'll have to research all of the other products that are bundled into Studio, since I'm not sure which of them I'd be likely to use.
Old 01-23-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by futbol
The only limitation of educational software is that you are prohibited from using it for any sort of commercial use. Basically, you can't make money from using it.
Yeah, I saw that on their site. Fortunately, I'd only be using it to make animation that would appear on my personal website, so it won't be a problem.