Serious Question about Security

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-20-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys:

Is it possible to use a sniffer to read the contents of confidential documents (saved in Word or Excel, etc.) sent over the wire? For example, as these docs are saved and retrieved to and from a file server?

Also, the idiots that put together our network subdivided our 400 node LAN into nine(!) VLANs. They cited security as a reason...they said that they didn't want PCs from outside the VLAN hacking into the desktop PCs of another VLAN. I want to get rid of the VLANs completely.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-20-04, 01:25 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Yes. (well I believe so)

is your 400 node network located in the same geographical area? or are they physically apart? if apart it sounds like a good choice...

hell even if they are in seperate rooms in the office, different divisions within the company, that probably is a better option. Easy to maintain security and block access to individuals based on what networks they can access, versus blocking by machine.
Old 01-20-04, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They are all in the same building. Or rather on the same (small) campus. It's a school.
Old 01-20-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by John Sy
They are all in the same building. Or rather on the same (small) campus. It's a school.
The point of VLAN's is to increase the number of broadcast domains, and minimize broadcasts. If you have 400 PC"s on the same segment then that is a lot of broadcasts and ARP requests. Since you are in different buildings it's good to have multiple VLAN's since it will minimize broadcasts across the backbone.

As far as the packet sniffer you could probably sniff a saved document even if you had no VLANs.
Old 01-20-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
if the packet system it uses aren't encrypted then yes, all you'd need is a program designed to show the data portion of the packet type being used by the network

Guys:

Is it possible to use a sniffer to read the contents of confidential documents (saved in Word or Excel, etc.) sent over the wire? For example, as these docs are saved and retrieved to and from a file server?

Any thoughts?
Old 01-21-04, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Serious Question about Security

Guys:

Well:

1. Word documents use a proprietary format to store the data that differs considerably from plain ol' ASCII text. Even an unencrypted MS-Word document would be somewhat of a challenge to read at the packet level. On the other hand, if all the packets were captured, I suppose it would be possible to recreate the file at a bit level. Dunno, never tried it.

2. As al_bundy pointed out, the point of VLANS is to reduce the number of broadcast domains. This has an obvious network efficiency advantage and also has an inherent security advantage in the sense that it helps mitigate the risks of evildoers launching DOS type attacks against your networks (the infamous "Smurf" attack, among others).

3. On switched networks, each switch port is its own collision domain. As such, you can't just plug a PC in and start sniffing Word documents going between two other systems on the network. To sniff effectively at all, the person would have to be able to plug in on a SPAN port on a switch or on the backbone somewhere. You can mostly mitigate that risk with a few physical security considerations.