Reload this Page >

Question about Microsoft Certified Professional exams

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-12-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just begun my studies for an MCSD, and it's going better than I'd thought. Since the engineering certification of holding an MCSE would also be helpful, I'm considering going for that, too. And since I'm taking three masters courses in databases over the next 18 months, I figured I'd earn an MCDBA, too.

It looks like some exams apply to two of these certifications - or even three! I understand that I can't use an exam twice in the same certification track (i.e., use one exam to satisfy both a core requirement and an elective requirement in the MCSD.) But can I use an exam to satisfy a requirement in more than one track? If so, then it looks like I can structure earn all three certifications with just twelve exams, instead of sixteen, which would be pretty neat.

- David Stein

Last edited by sfsdfd; 01-12-04 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-13-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got my answer from the MS certification newsgroup thread.

Looks like it's going to be a rough year, but a rewarding one. Twelve exams... can I pass all twelve while working full-time and earning A's in six masters-level computer science courses?

Crap. I'd better get back to the books. Wish me luck, guys...

- David Stein
Old 01-13-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow..that's alot of studing and test taking....best of luck to you
Old 01-14-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

how much does it test cost?

how much are the courses that u r taking?
good luck.
Old 01-14-04, 06:13 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I believe they are 125 USD, each.
Old 01-14-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

www.mcsebraindumps.com
Old 01-14-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.getcertified4less.com/

Buy Vouchers before taking your tests, it will save you $10.00 each.
Old 01-14-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Microsoft's core requirements study kit came with a 15% off voucher, so the exams are only $106 through June 30th, 2004.

Lateralus: Since you obviously have some experience with the exams ... what are they like? Specifically, what are the pass rates like? I presume that if I carefully push through Microsoft's textbook for each exam, the exam should be a piece of cake - is that a safe assumption?

- David Stein
Old 01-14-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Microsoft's core requirements study kit came with a 15% off voucher, so the exams are only $106 through June 30th, 2004.

Lateralus: Since you obviously have some experience with the exams ... what are they like? Specifically, what are the pass rates like? I presume that if I carefully push through Microsoft's textbook for each exam, the exam should be a piece of cake - is that a safe assumption?

- David Stein
I took the NT4 exams without any experience and through some really hard studying. 30 hours a week for a few months. I took the win2000 exams after I found a job and 1 year into an AD rollout and it was much easier. Some exams I only studied for a week or two.
Old 01-14-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sfsdfd

- David Stein
my study kit came with them also but they expired Dec 31st.

Microsoft tests are the hardest damn tests to take. My compTIA tests were all a piece of cake compared to the MS tests.

I bought the study kit an d setup a Active Directory with DHCP, WINS and DNS, this helped a lot. Then I buy a transender and go over the questions until I memorize the answers and why they are correct. Usually I see about 5-10 of these worded exactly on the test. You should get at least one transender so you see the type of wording you could get on the test and how they try to trick you.

On the real Ms tests, even though there is a full paragraph of infomation, one sentence usually gives it away. Other questions one answer sticks out from the other three, and on some questions it's pretty damn obivious which is the correct answer. READ THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY.

I am 10-0 so far using these methods. Here is a list of the most difficult tests:

70-215 Windows 2000 server --- Lots of questions of domains and active driectory integrated zones.

70-224 Exchange server -- 0 questions on administration. Lots about Front end exchange servers and routing practices etc.

70-218 -- RAS and admin questions

2000 + XP easy, easy easy. Lots of RIP and DHCP questions.