Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Burner: Lite On external, Sonic MYDVD software, any good?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-12-04, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I need some advice......I am looking to buy a dvd burner, here is my situation:

I have a toshiba sd1200 standalone dvd player, which according to some sites, only plays DVD-R discs...This is where i will watch 90% of the time......

I am looking to purchase an EXTERNAL burner since I will hook up to my laptop (compaq presario 2170 w/2ghz celeron, dvd/cdrw drive, 256 MB RAM (64 MB set aside for video))...

[Removed portion of question that would get this thread closed. -X]

I am considering a Lite On 8x External DVD + - RW......IT comes with Sonic MYDVD......

I am looking to find out if anyone has had any experience with any of the Hardware I have mentioned and has any comments on it. Also , has anyone tried any blank media successfully on any of these components? I noticed CompUSA has 50 packs of DVD-R for $44.......any ideas guys?

Last edited by MACD23; 01-12-04 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-12-04, 09:51 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do not discuss copying DVDs here.
Old 01-12-04, 10:16 PM
Banned

sorry
Old 01-12-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's some user comments on your type of DVD player and what media brands seem to work on it:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.p...arch&#comments
Old 01-12-04, 10:59 PM
Banned

thanks chew
Old 01-13-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought a LiteOn over Christmas. It is working flawlessly once I upgraded the firmware. There's a whole LiteOn forum at cdfreaks http://forum.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=44 If you do decide to get a LiteOn, go there for the updates and to find out what other people are doing with their drives. Great place. I'm using a LiteOn411s in a P3-600 with only 128MB RAM; still burning great. I even tried burning a DVD while reading from a USB1.1 drive !!! and the buffer was precariously low, and it still burned it well. I wouldn't say that the LiteOn is flawless for everyone; but I'll say that if you do eventually have a problem, there is a HUGE forum out there you can get help from. And that you don't find for too many burners out there.

As for 50 pack of compusa cd-5 for $44. I would advise not getting that. That is almost $1 per DVD, and compusa dvd-r's are not very reliable. You might get lucky and get a good spindle, but the quality is generally very cheap. You can get much better media for about the same price. In the long run, decent media will save you a lot of troubles and headaches.

When you eventually do get a burner, go also to dvdrhelp.com - they have 2 different utilities (dvd identifier, and dvd info pro) that will allow you to identify the manufacturer of a particular DVD-/+ R that you have. This is useful because sometimes, you just don't know whether the Imation/TDK/Maxell/Fuji/ Khypermedia/ Verbatim / Phillips media you've just bought is made by who.

Manufacturers that work well with the LiteOn: Taiyo Yuden (well, this one works well with every damn burner out there, but very costly media), Ritek, Ricoh, Mitsubishi Chemicals.

If you're confused, spend some time at dvdrhelp, or at the LiteOn forum.

One other thing though. A lot of LiteOn owners report that SonicMyDVD (the burning program is actually Record Now DX) works well with LiteOn burners, whereas Nero is causing problems for LiteOn drives.

Last edited by Autotelik; 01-13-04 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-13-04, 12:08 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Autotelik
One other thing though. A lot of LiteOn owners report that SonicMyDVD (the burning program is actually Record Now DX) works well with LiteOn burners, whereas Nero is causing problems for LiteOn drives.
Yeah, I saw those remarks. Nero 6 is working just fine with mine.

I'm very impressed with the 411s. And I've been reading about people turning it into an 811s. Interesting.
Old 01-13-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've also had no problems with Nero 6 and either of my Liteon DVD burner drives (411S and 451S). I couldn't stand the MySonic DVD Burning software that was bundled with the Liteon drives.
Old 01-13-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No problem with Nero on my 451S so far. Works great!
Old 01-13-04, 10:13 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the replies.....I am thinking of going with the Lite On 811s...