Reload this Page >

Can somone help me with upgrading?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-12-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 18 and I started college last fall. I'm majoring in Engineering, so I'm going to be using my PC now more than ever (especially this semester). I still live at home and my parents have a computer that is a couple of years old, but someone is on it all the time. We still have our old computer that we bought in 1998, and I've decided to put it in my room so that I won't have to ever worry about not having access to a computer. The monitor and printer are fine, and I can't afford to buy a new computer, so I'm going to upgrade (that is, unless it would be cheaper to buy a new computer ) and I need some help.

Right now, my computer has:
Windows 95
233 MHz processor
32 MB RAM
6.0 GB Hard Drive
24x CD ROM

So, I guess my question is what kind of upgrades do you recommend and about how much would it cost? I'm also thinking about getting a CD burner for it, but I'm not sure yet.
Old 01-12-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry but that platform is not a upgrade candidate. I keep a system like that in the closet as a backup and linux hobby box and even with it having Windows 98 and 64MB Ram it's painfully slow when even surfing the web which is all I can do with it with a MS OS running on it.

If on a real tight budget alot of companies are selling Dell corporate off-lease PC's with PIII CPU's/256 Ram/10GB hard drive/CD-Rom for under $100. Nothing cutting edge but atleast usable.
Old 01-12-04, 12:28 AM
Suspended

Go to Dell w/ discount coupons using google and get a $500 P4 system. Also sign up w/ the Dell.com news letter. They offer further discount coupon codes through email all the time.

There's no point in upgrading your system, it's like burning money.
Old 01-12-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

upgrades?

I would start fresh. only the cdrom might have some use in a new computer.
Old 01-12-04, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all your advice.

Here's my following thread if any of you have had any experience with Dell computers.
Old 01-12-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you could probably salvage the case, floppy, cdrom, videocard, and hard drive.
crack open the case and look if you have a network card and/or modem card instead of being on the motherboard and you could salvage those, too.

go on pricewatch.com and you could probably score a good deal on a motherboard/processor combo for about $150 (pentium4)

add some ram (~$100) and if you need new modem/network card, another $30. maybe even a 350w powersupply another $30

total approx $300 or less on a p4 2gigahertz. granted you'll have a smaller harddrive by today's standards, but still, 6 gigs is alot for a college computer.

add the salvaged parts back in and that'll save you $$ towards your college partying. dell is great and all, but being in college means every buck counts so you're better off going this route.

good luck on school,and since you're gonna be engineering, this is good practice to build your own stuff. (i think?)

Last edited by peon73; 01-12-04 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-12-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you don't have $400-500 for a new system that can do the job fairly well, I'd recommend what cubanx said: buy a used machine for $100-200. You'll be able to get a PIII 500-800MHz, 128MB of RAM and a 10-20GB hard drive.
Old 01-13-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright, guys...after the replies I got from my other thread, I've now decided to get one built (I had this old one built in '98 at a place right down the road, so I'll probably go back there for this one). I don't really play games on my computer, but the few that I have don't really require much to run, so I'm not looking to build a computer for games. I just want something new and fast, and something that is easily upgradable for a reasonable price.

I've decided that my limit is $500, and I would like to get some suggestions for the specs (processor, RAM, etc.) for the computer that I'll have built. (I'm about six years behind, here, so I need some help ) Also, I would like to add a CD burner. What speed should it be?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 01-13-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
I checked dell.com last week and they had a $350 system, no monitor deal. Check it out.

Other than that, you can get ram cheap, and then upgrade windows.

Is it a Pentium 1 or 2?
Old 01-13-04, 02:57 PM

Having one built and easy to upgrade do not go together at all.

You have two options:

1) Get a pre built system from Dell or something like that but not be able to upgrade it much as the years go on because they dont use standard parts

2) Get the parts yourself for cheaper, assemble it cheaper, and be able to upgrade it cheaper as time goes on.

But you said you don't really want to play games so you don't really need to worry about option 2 as much since the only real reason to get top of the line computer parts is to play games.

For you an eMachine would be fine. My uncle just got one for my cousin and it works fine. They are always on sale at Wal Mart and Circuit City. For about $500 you can get a very fast machine that will do everything you want it to do.. even play most of today's games.

If you are not looking to do any hardcore power gaming (which you cant do for under $500 anyway with the newest video cards alone costing that much) just get an eMachine. It will do everything you want it to do at a price you will enjoy.
Old 02-02-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by danw
recommend what cubanx said: buy a used machine for $100-200. You'll be able to get a PIII 500-800MHz, 128MB of RAM and a 10-20GB hard drive.
Hello- I'm in a similar situation- where do you get these cheap computers you mention?
Thanks!
Old 02-02-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Have you upgraded Sophia Coppola yet?