Reload this Page >

Excessive failed CD burns.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-10-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know why my CD writer makes more coasters than CDs?

I think its a Samsung 48X writer, it is whatever Dell put in it from the factory.

I am using Windows XP home, and I am finding it diffucult to burn a complete CD. I have used Windows to try to burn, Nero, Roxio, but they seem to get write errors often. If I keep the CD pretty short, and burn slow I have a good success rate. I have also tried about every brand of CDR out there. The brand, or the software seems to make no difference, they all fail at some point. For every 4 attempts I might get 1 cd burned successfully.
Old 01-10-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How slowly do you drop down to get successful burns? It's quite possibly the throughput to your writer. How are your devices configured? What else is on the IDE cable with the burner? Are you getting buffer underruns or just bad burns?

das
Old 01-10-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

8X seems to be my best shot... I am not sure about what else is on the IDE cable... it is a factory install, i have changed nothing about the computer since I got it a year and a half ago. I get a lot of "disk write error" is what it says. And I about the same as cannot use a CDRW, I get errors saying the disc is dirty or damaged.
Old 01-10-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could be bad media. Are you recently using a new pack of CDR's? Even if using the same "brand" you've been using a new batch of CDR's could use a different factory. Or your CDR optic's could be dirty if your a smoker, you could try one of those CD cleaning kits but since a new 52X burner is only $38 shipped at Newegg it's probaly not worth the effort unless you have a cleaning kit laying around. If you like rebates you can find on under $20.

Last edited by cubanx; 01-10-04 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-10-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A year and a half ago ... did it use to work and now is failing, or are you just now getting around to using it enough to notice? Can you burn straight from another CD without writing to the disk? "Disk write error" seems pretty vague. It could be as simple as a bad burner. If the disk you're reading from is overly fragmented, that will slow down the data's ability to keep up with the burn speed and cause buffer underruns (that go away at slower speeds), but I would suspect you'd get a specific "buffer underrun" error, or at least a warning, for that.

If it used to work and has suddenly stopped, my guess is that either the hardware has failed (or is simply dirty) or your PC can no longer send the data fast enough to keep up with the drive. If you haven't changed anything with your machine, that could be caused by disk fragmentation. Do you have a tool that can report how fragmented the drive is? If not, as I suggested earlier, can you test burning from drive to drive without writing to the hard disk?

das
Old 01-10-04, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the past, it would only fail if I tried to burn CDs at speeds like 40X, but the past couple months I have even had trouble even burning data cds. although now that I think about it... I am not sure if I have ever run defrag on this computer.

Windows told me there is no need to defrag... I could believe the dirty thing... or maybe I wore it out. and yes I do live with a smoker.

Last edited by costanza187; 01-10-04 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-11-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting. I was having a similar problem a while ago, but haven't tried since then.

I also had problems installing stuff, either it wouldn't install properly, or it would crash during install or right after... what ever.

Since I doubted that both my CD drives were dying, I kind of thought "screw it, it's something else" and didn't bother with it.
Old 01-12-04, 04:33 PM
Suspended

Well did you turn on DMA? Or is it still on PIO.
Old 01-12-04, 07:22 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

And do you have anything else on the same IDE cable as the burner?
Old 01-12-04, 09:55 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are there other apps running that is interrupting the burning process? The only ways to check if it's hardware error is to try a different drive on your PC or to try your drive on another PC, neither of which is a pleasant option.

It really sux to have to burn slow; worse to get coasters. I'm so happy with my 52x Lite-On CD burner. That burns 16x generic CD-R media at 52x with no problem.
Old 01-13-04, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This may or may not be related but.. I have been getting failed burns on a brand new drive since I had it. Tried different programs, media, etc and just the other day may have figured out the cause.

It seems if I have a lot of file names over a certain length that it won't burn properly. I thought long file names were fine since '95 but I couldn't burn a cd the other day and renamed one folder that was a group of baseball photographs that had the team name, event, and date (all valid characters) that wouldn't work. I renamed the batch minus the date and it went without a hitch.
Old 01-13-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have similar cases if I tried to burn CDs while I'm doing other task on my computer. I also have to step down the writing speed to 32x.
Old 01-13-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Life's too short, go buy one of those Liteon 52X CD burners and be done with it.

Also, as suggest above, you should look and see if you have "long name" support checked in the burning properties.
Old 01-13-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What version of Nero have you tried using?

How old is your CD-Rom drive?

Also, what brand of CD-Rs are you using? Have you recently bought a new pack of cheap CD-Rs?
Old 01-13-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nero 5.5.914 I have used every brand of CDR under the sun, Verbatim was absolutely horrible... even had static and all sorts of junk and noise on the ones that burned successfully (the cool looking ones that look like records)

Some cheap ones from Staples worked at about a 50% rate, Circuit City brand was about the same.

One batch of Sony really sucked, while another batch of Sony, walmart multi colored ones, I am having a bout a 50% success rate.

There were some non labeled ones from Office Max, that worked about halfway too.

I never thought about the filenames thing... I seem to have one MP3 that will wreck a CD burn if I am burning data. On music CDs however its hit and miss... I can try to burn one, it will fail... try to burn it again, and it work the second time.

Ive had trouble burning a jpg CD, and ones with ROMS also.

Also, I have a lot of trouble burning VCDs. I fail often on those.

I am wondering maybe if I wore it out burning so much stuff. Back after I got that computer, I found a bunch of mail in rebates to get free CDs and I got tons of them, and I used them all up. I would hate to think how many cds have gone through that thing.