Reload this Page >

Mac G5 Dual Processor question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-07-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I am currently saving up to replace my G4 400 Mhz machine at home. I am curious as to whether or not the extra $700 is worth it to get the middle of the road G5 Dual Processor.

I use Photoshop a ton, as well as all the other big ones, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and the like.

Anyone have any experience?
Old 01-07-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I wish I did. Do you mind sharing how you'll be paying for this? I myself am still in college, and have trying to figure out a way to get myself an apple desktop, preferrably a dual cpu. Thanks.
Old 01-07-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whenever you can get a dual processor get it since Mac OS X works really well with duals. I have a Dual 1 GHz myself.
Old 01-07-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get the 1.8GHz dual G5. The 1.6 single G5 is lacking in a lot of ways. The 1.8 Ghz has better bus speed and PCI-x. It will be more easily upgraded than the 1.6.
I'm saving up and so far have no money. Try to get your G5 on educational discount or a refurb from apple.
Old 01-07-04, 03:11 PM
Suspended

Yes, definitely get the G5 Dual 1.8G. It's the sweet spot for Apple's desktop line-up. It's got all the Dual 2.0G specs w/o the heavy price tag. The G5 1.6 is like the lite version. Even my G4 Dual 1.25G (w/ 1GB RAM) beats it.

Running Photoshop CS on Panther right now. It's pretty fast, but I think I'll have to upgrade to that Dual 1.8G soon, which is $2300 w/ education discount.
Old 01-07-04, 03:51 PM

Running a Dual 2Ghz. It rips through all my Photoshop work like butter.
Old 01-07-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One more thing if tradition serves us, I'd wait until the end of the month before purchasing because it's very likely that new models will be released or at least announced. I base this on the same thing happening at the end of January for the last 2 years.
Old 01-07-04, 09:23 PM
Suspended

Or you can just check out Macrumors' Buyer's Guide. Since Apple controlls everything Mac related, they have a product cycle for everthing. Follow the product cycle closely and you won't be beating yourself over the head by buying a product at the end of its cycle.
Old 01-07-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by scroll2b
No, I wish I did. Do you mind sharing how you'll be paying for this? I myself am still in college, and have trying to figure out a way to get myself an apple desktop, preferrably a dual cpu. Thanks.
Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I will be waiting a tad longer to get the $2500 model. But my luck they will announce something the following week, no matter when I buy it.

I got a couple hundred for christmas, a small christmas bonus at work, and a $200 gift card for CompUSA for christmas as well. I am working on selling a bunch of stuff right now to get there. Weeding through my 600 dvds to make some dough, selling old computer parts, an extra computer desk, an extra PC and the like. I also try and put back $50 a week on top of that. It takes time and discipline, but... it will be mine!
Old 01-12-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whore! Actually, I need to do the same thing. I have so much junk laying around the house, but I just don't believe in online auctions. Why should I be taxed for selling shit?

Last edited by scroll2b; 01-12-04 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-12-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

scroll- convenience. Friday night I put up a movie, a tv box set, a dreamcast, and some gameboy games. Sold $150 worth of stuff since then.

I have since scoured closets for any stuff/junk I don't need and put it all on half.com. Simple stuff. Just sit back and get paid... and make the occasional trip to the P.O.

Lucky me, I also got a $175 check this weekend from a credit I had on a loan from 3 years ago! WOW! I didn't do much but sit on my ass all weekend and made over $300. Rock on. At this rate, the G5 will definitely be mine(vs. upgrading the G4).