Reload this Page >

Complications with MSN Messenger being trumped by Windows Messenger

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-05-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously WM comes with XP, but I like MSN better so I downloaded it.

Both have the option to not startup when WIndows starts, and to not startup when connected to the internet.

I want MSN to start, yet WM --- even though I've unclicked the buttons allowing it to --- starts up everytime, trumping/knocking off MSN.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

P.S. - This happens when WM isn't even running in my system tray but MSN is.

I saw some other threads on this, and tried some suggestions (i.e. renaming "Messenger" under Program Files, but the ones I tried didn't solve the issue).

Thanks.
Old 01-05-04, 11:47 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remove Windows Messenger.

Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components (left column) -> uncheck Windows Messenger -> Next ...
Old 01-06-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, namja. I guess I should have clarified --- I'm not really looking to permanently delete it - I just want to figure out why it's doing it and stop that action from happening. I know I didn't state that at all though.
Old 01-06-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

try going into msconfig (start, run, msconfig). Click the startup tag at the top, find windows messenger, and uncheck it. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to keep the windows one if you have the msn one?
Old 01-06-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know. I ended up removing it like namja suggested. I just don't like getting rid of things permanently I guess.
Old 01-06-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're using Norton there's a bug in Antivirus 2004 that will startup the Messenger service and leave it running in the background (you won't find it in any of the strartup folders or registry keys) even if you set the messenger program itself not to startup. You have to take the check out of the box in the Norton messenger preferences section.
Old 01-06-04, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by namja
Remove Windows Messenger.

Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components (left column) -> uncheck Windows Messenger -> Next ...
Does Windows Messenger show in Add/Remove Programs?
Old 01-06-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not in the first add/remove screen but in the "Add/Remove Windows Components (left column)" section.
Old 01-06-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, well I tried to rename, tried to "add/remove" the program, and STILL I have both starting up when I log-on to the internet.

In fact, as before, Windows Messenger doesn't even show up in my systray --- it just pops up with the "You have been logged off since you logged in somewhere else" message when MSN Messenger starts up.

So....does anyone else have any suggestions on how to get rid of the S.O.B. and use only MSN ?? (I do not run Norton, but do run McAfee).
Old 01-06-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
From google:

If you prefer to remove Windows Messenger manually, click Start, Run and enter the following command:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Note: This will prevent a long delay when opening Outlook Express if you have the Contacts pane enabled. To prevent this, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Right click in the right pane and select New, Dword value. Give it the name Hide Messenger Double click this new entry and set the value to 2.
Old 01-07-04, 01:15 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Toad
OK, well I tried to rename, tried to "add/remove" the program, and STILL I have both starting up when I log-on to the internet.
Before you log-on to the Internet, take a look at your Task Manager. Do you see "msmsgs.exe"? That's Windows Messenger. If that is loaded, then you gotta find why it's doing that. Look in Startup folder, a batch file?, in the StartUp in your registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run), etc.

BTW, MSN Messenger's application filename is "msnmsgr.exe"
Old 01-07-04, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

namja --- Yes, that's exactly what was happening. Apparently, doing the "remove program" thing only removes the icon from your Start Menu while not really touching the program.

Draven --- thanks for doing that search! I ran the command, and it was deleted successfully. I guess I'll see how well it worked after I reboot and log in again.

Thanks again guys!! Funny how such a little thing can be SOOO frustrating!