Reload this Page >

to fix or replace?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

to fix or replace?

Old 12-26-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to fix or replace?

well, guys, my computer saga has continued... now it no longer even turns on. have a 2001 hewlet packard, was running ME on it. started with a few bugs, screwed up orgrams, etc. virus checker (norton) said there were no viruses. now the on/off button just serves as a pretty decoration. grrr. so, is there a place that fixes them? is that even plausible versus a good idea cost wise? if i replace a hard drive, can i salvage my old parts (memory unused, dvdplayer, cd burner, etc) from my old puter? and is there any way to salvage my files saved on there? i know i am being vague here but if anyone can shed some light on this issue, i would much appreciate it! thanks!
Old 12-26-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just burn everything you want to keep on a CDR. Then put in the new drive and reformat it. The power button on the other hand may be a problem. I don't know how they work on a HP. I don't know if you can buy another one or not. When the power button went out on one of my computers I just bought a $20 case at a computer store and took the button out of it.
Old 12-26-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ok, i dont htink the power button literally borke although i could be wrong. lets just say that the hard drive doesnt turn on any more. and how do i burn my data onto a cd if i cant even access my hard drive?
Old 12-26-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: to fix or replace?

Originally posted by krkuhl
well, guys, my computer saga has continued... now it no longer even turns on. have a 2001 hewlet packard, was running ME on it. started with a few bugs, screwed up orgasms, etc.

anyway, without more detail, it's hard to say what's wrong, and how much it could be to fix - it could be something as simple as a loose cable to a bad mobo, power supply, ram, and who knows what else. you could salvage dvd player, burner, etc, provided that they're still good. if your hard drive isn't bad, then you should easily be able to take out the files.

as to good places to fix, well, its hard to say. places like compusa have "techs" on hand to fix computer problems, but they will charge you X dollars just to look at it. also, i knew a guy who worked as a computer tech, and he wasn't...how shall we put it...let's just say he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. my advice would be to find someone that can look at your computer...maybe someone from your school.

what computer do you have? do you have a model #?

in general, i'm weary of hp's and ME because, in my experience, they tend to be not very reliable. if it were me, i would just buy another computer, but again, that depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. it might cost less than $100 to fix your existing computer, but then again it could cost a few hundred. keep in mind that dell will have new computers for $400 on sale from time to time.
Old 12-26-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

I'd say it just save yourself the headaches and get yourself a Dell also. For xmas, I got my parents a Dell Dim. 2400, celeron 2.4 ghz, 256mb ram, 40 gb HD, CD-RW and DVD player, free shipping, for $348 (no rebates). The computer does the job for them. The deal ends Dec 30.

Otherwise, maybe you could sweet-talk someone from your school's computing services to help?
Old 12-26-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you did get a new PC...assuming it's not a problem with the hard drive (the way I first read your messages had me thinking power supply, but can't tell without looking at it...could be the motherboard, or any number of tihngs) you should be able to recover your data from this hard drive by simply installing it in the new box and copying your files off of it.