Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD authoring?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD authoring?

Old 12-24-03, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD authoring?

Apologies beforehand if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

I am in curious to know which DVD authoring software is most intuitive as I'd like to get into doing it myself. This is all for personal amusement, just to put people's minds at ease about copy infringements. There are a few movies in my collection I'd like to play around with the music score, maybe add in my own creation.. that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-24-03, 12:06 PM

wfujosh, thanks for the link.
I didn't see an answer after my initial viewing, but I just glossed over the site.
I've been considering a DVD writer lately and was wondering if it is possible to create anamorphic discs with a home DVD writer. Anybody know? Thanks!
Old 12-24-03, 12:29 PM

wfujosh, email sent.

acostigan, dvd writers are very affordable now that I may pick one up after the new years. Some newer technology will surface probably Q1 or Q2 which will reduce prices for the older generation writers, namely the 4x writers.

If anyone who has experience in making their own menus and what-have-yous, I'd be greatly appriciative for your advice on which program to use. Currently have an archaic copy of Premiere, but it does not seem compliant with RAW dvd files.
Old 12-24-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDXcopy has nothing to do with authoring.. only copying... You want DVD Architect (from Sonic Foundry) or Ulead DVD MovieFactory... There are a couple of other halfway decent ones (sonic MyDVD, etc.) , but I prefer Architect, personally.

edit: oh, and 4X writers have been here for a while... we actually already have 8X DVD writers and 16X is not far off on the horizon (though, they say that is pretty close to the limit speedwise for writing DVDs). The next big thing in DVD writers will actually be dual layered discs and burners that can write to them.

edit again: acostigan.. the answer is yes.

Last edited by ScottyWH; 12-24-03 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-24-03, 01:41 PM

ScottyWH, thanks for the input. Would you say Architect is the equivalent of iMovie or FinalCut Pro? I have not used these programs myself, but from what I've seen, it looks very intuitive, like taking drag-n-drop to a whole new level.

Another program that I'd like to use is Adobe's AfterEffects. This is what I'm told the film industry use to add the glits and glamour we see on screen. Anyhow, the dvdhelp.com site will provide adaquet info. as I read further on, I'm sure.

Thanks for the input guys,

Happy new year..
Old 12-24-03, 06:48 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've used Ulead DVD MovieFactory, its a nice program for authoring. Havn't seen if it'll do anything else though.
Old 12-24-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Adobe's new DVD authoring program, which is called Adobe Encore. You can download a 30 trial version at Adobe's site to test it out if you'd like, just to see what it can do and how intuitive it is for you, etc.

http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/main.html

Your DVD writer will probably come with some form of authoring software, too. Mine came with one of the MyDVD thingies. But the program is very limited in what it can do (the version I had couldn't even do chapter stops, for example).
Old 12-24-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After Effects is an addon for Premiere that gives you some neat new effects and such that you can create, but it has nothing to do with DVD Authoring. Unfortunately, I haven't used iMovie or FinalCut Pro, so I can't comment on either.
Old 12-26-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For straight-forward DVD authoring, I think DVD-Lab is the best and easiest to use.

I have used DVD MovieFactory and DVD WorkShop extensively and have dabbled in a couple of others but none of them hold a candle to DVD-Lab. Again, this is assuming you just want to create a standard DVD with a single audio track.

There are more powerful products out there but they are much more difficult to use.
Old 12-26-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Flave

There are more powerful products out there but they are much more difficult to use.
Like what?
Old 12-26-03, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Tarantino
Like what?
Adobe Encore DVD
Sonic Scenartist
Sonic ReelDVD
Spruce DVD Maestro (no longer available)
Apple DVD Studio Pro

Originally posted by ScottyWH
After Effects is an addon for Premiere that gives you some neat new effects and such that you can create, but it has nothing to do with DVD Authoring.
After Effects isn't an add-on for Premiere. It's an entirely separate program for compositing and effect work. On it's own, it has nothing to do with DVD authoring, but I use it to make motion menus.

Originally posted by Ronin008
Would you say Architect is the equivalent of iMovie or FinalCut Pro?
iMovie and FCP are both video editors, like Premiere. On their own, they do not create DVDs; you need specialized software for that.

I am in curious to know which DVD authoring software is most intuitive as I'd like to get into doing it myself.
It all depends on how much you want to do. If you want to make relatively simple discs, you can't go wrong with Ulead's products - I've used DVD Workshop and it's pretty good. If you want to make more complicated discs, you'll need a better piece of software like the ones mentioned above. I'm currently using Adobe Encore DVD, and love it; then again, I love everything Adobe. It's a bit complicated at first, but easy to get the hang of.

This is all for if you have a PC, though. If you have a Mac, it pretty much comes down to iDVD for simple discs and DVD Studio Pro for the complicated ones.

If anyone who has experience in making their own menus and what-have-yous, I'd be greatly appriciative for your advice on which program to use. Currently have an archaic copy of Premiere, but it does not seem compliant with RAW dvd files.
I make all my still menus in Photoshop, and my motion menus in After Effects. Regardless of still or motion, once I'm inside Encore, the subpictures are edited in Photoshop.

Raw dvd files are mpeg-2 files, which do not edit easily.
Old 12-26-03, 06:22 PM

removed
Old 12-26-03, 07:41 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by thomsm
removed
Except that is not a dvd authoring program, it is a recompressor.
Old 12-26-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stand corrected on after effects, I guess... it used to be just an addon for premiere... I guess they made it into a stand alone product since I last used it.
Old 12-26-03, 08:50 PM

removed
Old 12-26-03, 08:53 PM
Cool New Member

removed
Old 12-26-03, 11:27 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For you people who found it necessary to turn this discussion into one of ripping copyrighted material and trying to fit it onto a single DVD...

We don't discuss copying copyrighted DVDs nor do we discuss methods of cracking their CSS encryption.
Old 12-27-03, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by ScottyWH
I stand corrected on after effects, I guess... it used to be just an addon for premiere... I guess they made it into a stand alone product since I last used it.
Are u confused with Final Effects? Final efx is a plugin for Premier, After Effects has always been a standalone seperate product.