Reload this Page >

Upgrading NT 4.0 to 2000

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Upgrading NT 4.0 to 2000

Old 12-23-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading NT 4.0 to 2000

We have a laptop here in the office, and due to some software compatibility issures, we would like to update to 2000.

Not, I do know it is better to format and do a clean install but my boss doesn't want to so we will just skip over that solution.

What I am wondering is is it possible to use the Windows 2000 Professional full install CD to use as an upgrade for NT, or if we need to specifically purchase the upgrade version. I would personally like to have the full version, so if the upgrade doesn't "take" nicely, we have the option of formatting and re-installing.

Any prompt response would be greatly appreciated, as we would like to do this soon. Thank you,

Jon
Old 12-23-03, 08:43 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Upgrading NT 4.0 to 2000

Originally posted by jon-w9
What I am wondering is is it possible to use the Windows 2000 Professional full install CD to use as an upgrade for NT...

You should be able to just throw in the Pro CD and go. It will prompt you to upgrade if it finds a previously installed version of Windows.
Old 12-23-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Dead!
Old 12-23-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll hop in here and explain the two different types of Windows CDs.

Full Install: You do not need a previous version of Windows to install this.

Upgrade: You need to have a previous version of Windows to install it. You do not need to have Windows installed but you need to have proof (a previous Windows CD) that you have a previous version of Windows.

These have nothing to do with clean installs or upgrade installs. You can perform both of these installs from either type of Windows CD.
Old 12-23-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When doing an upgrade like this, it is wise to uninstall or remove any software that is NOT windows 2000 compliant before you perform the upgrade.

Remove any antivirus software

since you say laptop, remove any 3rd party software that was used for the PCMCIA cards (if you had any)

also remove the PCMCIA cards themselves and re insert them after 2000 is installed.

remove any older version of EZ cd creator or anything of this nature

I have performed many sucessful NT to 2000 upgrades, you just have to prepare the NT install a little bit beofre hand.