Reload this Page >

Anybody Else Tired of Apple's iGreed?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-22-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I've been a proud owner of a Macintosh I'm wondering when does the money pit end of constantly buying more and more Mac products that need to be purchased in order to keep up with their perpetually updating OS?

I'm having a problem with my Mac right now. I tried to call their AppleCare line and was told that it would cost $49 just to take the service call (my warranty for service expired last year and didn't renew).

But just as a cranky question: are any Mac owners getting tired of constantly moving back to "Classic Environment" because Jaguar or Panther doesn't recognize your printer or scanner? Do I have to buy new hardware every three years because the OS fails to recognize it? What do you guys think?
Old 12-22-03, 03:03 PM
Suspended

Re: Anybody Else Tired of Apple's iGreed?

Originally posted by devilpants
What do you guys think?
I think Mac's suck!
Old 12-22-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Which is I haven't completely switched over to OSX. I still work mainly with OS9.
Old 12-22-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Serves you right for bein' a "proud" Macintosh owner.
Old 12-22-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought a my first Mac last year and I love it. I have all OSx apps and hardware because I can't stand the classic environment. OSX is what fianlly sold me on macs. Yes they are a bit pricey but the quality is much higher as well.

So now I have 4PCs and 1 mac... I'm such a geek!
Old 12-22-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

About ten years ago I needed a new mouse for my Macintosh. It would have cost something like $80, at the same time when a mouse for an IBM compatible was running $10 or so. After having been with Apple since 1980 or so, my next computer was an IBM compatible.

Last edited by Heat; 12-22-03 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-22-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I used mac's in school but I don't see why i should spend more money on a computer than for a PC when it will do the exact same thing and faster than a mac.

On the PC front you hear about new products months in advance so you can plan your purchases. Apple keeps new product launches a closely guarded secret so you never know when something new is going to come out. MS also gives out free upgrade coupons months before it's new OS ships. Did apple do it with OS-X?
Old 12-22-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As long as I'm on a rant, why is that .mac "club" necessary? You pay $8 a month on your card to get iDisk, iPhoto, iChat AV, things you don't need to pay a monthly fee on if you owned a PC. The whole Apple scene is getting too greedy for me and I'm seriously thinking about switching to the PC format.
Old 12-22-03, 04:57 PM
Suspended

As long as there are mid to high income consumers eating up all the crap Apple spits out about the Switch and Think Different, Apple will continue to profit, and profit some more. Of course, Apple have to give thanks to all the Mac fanatics sites and forums on the net for spreading the gospel of Jobs, and promoting how idiot proof Macs are... But if Macs are idiot proof, why does Apple have a customer support division? Oh, that's right, so they can charge idiots $300 for Apple Care and $40/minute after Apple Care expires.
Old 12-22-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If someone told me I was going to have to pay for a customer service phone call I'd tell them they're going to have to pay me to ever buy one of their products again.

I'm considering buying a mac next year because the wife wants one. It's what they used in photography school and she's more comfortable on one. I love the new mac os and their monitors and machine designs are really sweet... i'll admit that I'm a bit mesmerized when I walk in to a computer store and venture into the mac section. I've started thinking that having both a mac and pc would be a good thing, particularily for debugging web sites and software I develop. This thread alone is making me hesitate a little.

I have always gone the PC route because there are so many more options and a very competitive market.
Old 12-22-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No Mac = no problem.

A friend of mine is about to get a G5, because he does a lot of graphics work. I explained to him that there was probably next-to-nothing anymore that a Mac can do that a PC can't do nearly as well, just as well or better. He's made up his mind. I wonder when the bitching will start.
Old 12-22-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Where is the Mac irate commercial from a few months back?
Old 12-22-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Anybody Else Tired of Apple's iGreed?

Originally posted by devilpants
What do you guys think?
I think that approximately $1000 in parts gave me a machine that runs rings around the G5, and the new version of Adobe Premiere offers the same functionality as final cut pro, and is faster.
Old 12-22-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also hear macs send all you file info to the FBI and explode if you try to overclock.

I figured i'd just add to this thread of lies...

ps. 80 bucks for a mouse? was it made out of gold, my mouse was only like 20 bucks...
Old 12-22-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Thor Simpson
I'm considering buying a mac next year because the wife wants one. It's what they used in photography school and she's more comfortable on one. I love the new mac os and their monitors and machine designs are really sweet... i'll admit that I'm a bit mesmerized when I walk in to a computer store and venture into the mac section. I've started thinking that having both a mac and pc would be a good thing, particularily for debugging web sites and software I develop. This thread alone is making me hesitate a little.
Apple is the master of marketing the intangible, mainly because the tangible is usually so lacking.

To be fair, it wasn't always this way for the mac. Back in the mid to late 1990s, to do serious graphics work, or any kind of video work, a macintosh was essential. When I bought my first mac, the speeds were still reasonably compatable (350-500Mhz for the mac v. PC speeds up to 600Mhz or so). The mac OS was smoother and more stable than Win9x, and the hardware quality overall was execptional.

As time went on, Intel made huge strides in processor development, fueled by fierce competition from AMD, and Windows became much more stable and mature. Windows 2000 and XP fixed the problems of 98 and the hideous ME, and are excellent OSs for home, business, industrial, graphics, and video use. Apple, however, started down the long, dark road of making an entirely new OS, combining elements from Steve Job's failed NEXTstep computer with Unix. OS X is nice, and if you know Unix, is very powerful. But Jobs and company forgot two things: 1) very few people know or care anything about how Unix works, and 2) the high speed processors that resource hungry OS X demands were not being developed by Motorola.

In fact, after the poorly implimented introduction of the G4 processor, in which speeds were cut across the board by 50Mhz between the product annoncement and the ship date, Motorola did not release any faster G4 processors for over 1 year. In the same year that Intel released the first 1Ghz chip, AMD released the Thunderbird series, and the Pentium 4 was announced, the fastest processor in a Macintosh was 500 Mhz. Of course, this same chip was endlessly touted as faster than whatever chip was Intel's fastest. This "megahertz myth" strained Apple's credibility to the breaking point.

One thing Apple did right was the introduction of the iApps. iMovie, iTunes, iDVD, and iPhoto are all great programs. iMovie is the most functional video editor you can get outside of a multi-hundred dollar program, as is iDVD. The iPod has made them a fortune, and is a wonderful piece of hardware. It's functional, it's powerful, and it evokes pure techno-lust. You may not even really need one, but you gotta have one.

With the G5, Apple seems to have gained parity with AMD and Intel. While tests show the G5 still losing to high end Intel processors, the gap is very small. The G5 uses all the latest hardware advances, Serial ATA drives, USB2, Firwewire 800. OS X.3 (Panther) supposedly corrects a lot of the sluggishness of earlier versions of OS X. I've only used the demo model at CompUSA, and while the G5 seems much better than the G4, it still lags behind Windows XP, but only a little.
Old 12-22-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
one button mouse
horrible idea
my first PC had 3 buttons (this was before a scroll wheel was invented)
the "hockey puck" mouse was also horible
that said, their widescreen lcd looks pretty cool, the one with the clear frame

Last edited by mikehunt; 12-22-03 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-22-03, 07:55 PM

"Think Different." Let's rape the legacies of dead celebrities and use them to hawk our product.

"Switch." I'm an idiot. I couldn't figure out PC. So I switched to Mac.

Apple really needs to get a new marketing firm.
Old 12-22-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho

"Switch." I'm an idiot. I couldn't figure out PC. So I switched to Mac.
Old 12-22-03, 10:43 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Hear about the ipod battery problem?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Dec19.html
Old 12-22-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's wrong with that? I think it's perfectly feasible to expect people to buy a $400 piece of hardware again because you can't change the battery. This is the disposible world! Bring back DIVX!
Old 12-23-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, the whole battery thing was the reason I never bought an ipod. Now with them becoming so popular though, I'm glad I didn't, because I can just wait a year or so for a much improved product.
Old 12-23-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It took about 2 weeks for some company to come on the market with a replacable iPod battery. So another anti-mac lie...
Old 12-23-03, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jason
Apple is the master of marketing the intangible, mainly because the tangible is usually so lacking.

To be fair, it wasn't always this way for the mac. Back in the mid to late 1990s, to do serious graphics work, or any kind of video work, a macintosh was essential. When I bought my first mac, the speeds were still reasonably compatable (350-500Mhz for the mac v. PC speeds up to 600Mhz or so). The mac OS was smoother and more stable than Win9x, and the hardware quality overall was execptional.

As time went on, Intel made huge strides in processor development, fueled by fierce competition from AMD, and Windows became much more stable and mature. Windows 2000 and XP fixed the problems of 98 and the hideous ME, and are excellent OSs for home, business, industrial, graphics, and video use. Apple, however, started down the long, dark road of making an entirely new OS, combining elements from Steve Job's failed NEXTstep computer with Unix. OS X is nice, and if you know Unix, is very powerful. But Jobs and company forgot two things: 1) very few people know or care anything about how Unix works, and 2) the high speed processors that resource hungry OS X demands were not being developed by Motorola.

In fact, after the poorly implimented introduction of the G4 processor, in which speeds were cut across the board by 50Mhz between the product annoncement and the ship date, Motorola did not release any faster G4 processors for over 1 year. In the same year that Intel released the first 1Ghz chip, AMD released the Thunderbird series, and the Pentium 4 was announced, the fastest processor in a Macintosh was 500 Mhz. Of course, this same chip was endlessly touted as faster than whatever chip was Intel's fastest. This "megahertz myth" strained Apple's credibility to the breaking point.

One thing Apple did right was the introduction of the iApps. iMovie, iTunes, iDVD, and iPhoto are all great programs. iMovie is the most functional video editor you can get outside of a multi-hundred dollar program, as is iDVD. The iPod has made them a fortune, and is a wonderful piece of hardware. It's functional, it's powerful, and it evokes pure techno-lust. You may not even really need one, but you gotta have one.

With the G5, Apple seems to have gained parity with AMD and Intel. While tests show the G5 still losing to high end Intel processors, the gap is very small. The G5 uses all the latest hardware advances, Serial ATA drives, USB2, Firwewire 800. OS X.3 (Panther) supposedly corrects a lot of the sluggishness of earlier versions of OS X. I've only used the demo model at CompUSA, and while the G5 seems much better than the G4, it still lags behind Windows XP, but only a little.
I'm sorry friend, but facts in any Mac thread are prohibited as it's clearly stated in the www.apple.com FAQ.

Repeat after me:

Mac computers never crash
PC's always crash
Old 12-23-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rather than spend $49 for AppleCare tech help I've chosen the lesser/cheaper of two evils: CompUSA's Dial-A-Tech help for $29, which I've used before and is pretty helpful.

Just to let you know, my problem is that I cannot access the Finder anymore and all of my desktop icons have disappeared. The files still exist because I can sometimes access them from other remote locations.
Old 12-23-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
but you shouldn't have to use a third party battery, which probably voids the warranty with apple

Originally posted by DaveNinja
It took about 2 weeks for some company to come on the market with a replacable iPod battery. So another anti-mac lie...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.