winamp 5 is out

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

winamp 5 is out

Old 12-18-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
winamp 5 is out

any impressions?

I'm a little peeved that they have gone back to payware. I actually registered back when it was shareware, but I doubt I they will give it to me again.
Old 12-18-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I already have Nero for burning and CDex for ripping so the free version's ok with me. Been using the beta for some time now actually and I like it.
Old 12-18-03, 01:34 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Re: winamp 5 is out

Originally posted by RoQuEr

I'm a little peeved that they have gone back to payware. I actually registered back when it was shareware, but I doubt I they will give it to me again.
From their FAQ:

I guess there's not even the slightest chance that my old serial number from 1999 will still work, huh?
Hahahahahahahaha. Hahahaha. Haha. Hah. Ha. Sorry. It doesn't.
Nice response.

So you can't Rip/encode to mp3 and burn to CD with the Standard version. I registered back in '99, and if I recall correctly was promised free upgrades for life. Taking out a key feature(rip/encode to mp3) and throwing it into a "Pro" version is a shitty move. They won't be seeing my money again. It's ok, EAC+LAME is free, and works better for ripping/encoding, and my Winamp 2.whatever still plays fine.

Edit: Here's what it says in my original registration email:

This registration is valid for ALL versions of Winamp, past, present and
future.
But I guess not Winamp Pro. Ha!

We aren't the only ones who remember this. http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=160049

Last edited by AndyCapps; 12-18-03 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-18-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll give the free version of 5 a spin this evening. It better not be crap like version 3.
Old 12-19-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: winamp 5 is out

Originally posted by AndyCapps
But I guess not Winamp Pro. Ha!
Advance notice: Please note that your registration of Winamp Pro will not work with Winamp Pro Extreme. Likewise, any WPE registrations will not work with Winamp Pro Extreme '05. (etc.)

- David Stein
Old 12-20-03, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always used EAC/Lame since it's free and does a good job.

I've dl'ed and installed winamp before (can't remember which version) and I wasn't impressed ... should I have been?

Granted I may have not given it much of a chance so there must be aspects of winamp that beats out winmedia player and the like right?

I know you can get crazy skins for winamp but I got the impression that it appealed more to young teenagers who are attracted to the "look and interface" of winamp ... as opposed to me who's more into performance and simplicity.

Not trying to step on anyone's toes who really like winamp - can anyone vouch for winamp? Sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 12-20-03, 08:44 AM

Sorry for the stupid question but what is EAC/Lame?
Old 12-20-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been using Grip, a linux program, for ripping and encoding and I have been very please with it(it also uses lame). For a music/jukebox I have been trying something called Zinf that seems pretty cool. Oh, and it's all free.
Old 12-20-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

EAC/Lame. Feel free to also google on "eac lame rip"
Old 12-20-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth dancinns <HR SIZE=1>I'll give the free version of 5 a spin this evening. It better not be crap like version 3. <HR SIZE=1>

Agreed. I'd never use that other functionality anyway since there are superior alternatives for ripping, encoding, and burning; I just hope the primary functionality isn't crap like 3 was. I'm still running 2.80 I think. Anyone try it yet? Is it all bloated and annoying, or have they done a good job with 5?

das
Old 12-20-03, 11:46 PM

I just switched from 3 to 5 and am glad I did! 3 was slooooow to open for some reason and never seemed to work very well. 5 is much faster and works more like the original. So far ok with me.
Old 12-21-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Johnny Angell
Sorry for the stupid question but what is EAC/Lame?
It's only stupid if you don't ask and never find out.

EAC (Exact Audio Copy) is a free program designed to do just that. It's very good, you can use whatever codec you want to compress the music files (wav's, cda's) into mp3's because there are many out there.

Most people use the LAME codec (also free) and "plug" it into EAC.

EAC is relatively easy to use but there are many powerful options which will satisfy the power user.
Old 12-21-03, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really like Winamp5. I'd given up on Winamp3 for how slow it was. So far, it seems fast, there's some new features to play with, the GUI has some small improvements. No major complaints for it.
Old 12-21-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lol. im still on winamp 2.8. it works okay and its free, so i guess ill be sticking with it
Old 12-21-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm with several of you. I don't see a reason to upgrade from Winamp 2.x.

I use Winamp solely for playing music. Sometimes I want to use an audio or visual plugin or two (DFX is an amazing sound-quality-improvement plugin), write the files as WAVs, or stream them through SHOUTcast. That's it, really, and Winamp 2.81 works perfectly for that.

The extra crap is completely useless to me. I don't need a trillion visual styles, or CD ripping (Audiograbber rocks), or CD burning, or any other not-directly-related-to-MP3s junk. Just play my damn music, thanks.

- David Stein
Old 12-22-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

sfsdfd: word.
Old 12-22-03, 10:49 AM

I use Winamp 2.80 at home, and since I haven't ever installed it at work, I decided to test 5.0 here at the office.

I really like the new features. I would compare it to the other two by saying it is fast like the original, but feature rich like version 3. I haven't even fully delved into the features, really. So there are probably a lot of things there that are really neat, and some people will love, but will also be something that I will never even need or use.
Old 12-22-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

eh, i have 2.8 and use it to play mp3. I have other software for ripping etc.
Old 12-22-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
trying out ver. 5 right now
Old 12-22-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I only use it to play Mp3's, but i like Winamp 5. Nice slick interface.
Old 12-22-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by das Monkey
Quoth dancinns <HR SIZE=1>I'll give the free version of 5 a spin this evening. It better not be crap like version 3. <HR SIZE=1>

Agreed. I'd never use that other functionality anyway since there are superior alternatives for ripping, encoding, and burning; I just hope the primary functionality isn't crap like 3 was. I'm still running 2.80 I think. Anyone try it yet? Is it all bloated and annoying, or have they done a good job with 5?

das
I like 5. The only issue I have with it is that it's so damn_big. You can resize the player but then the text becomes unreadable so it's pointless.
Old 12-22-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where did the 2.xx site go? Are they gone for good?
Old 12-22-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winamp 5 is the upgrade from Winamp 2.x. It's built on the 2.x core with a lot of the new features from Winamp3.

I think if you choose not to install the newer features, like free-form skins and whatnot, you're essentially getting Winamp 2.x, with some bug fixes and stuff.