Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

WiFi is cool!(or, I kind of went war driving today)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-22-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a laptop for about three weeks. It has a built in 802.11g card but I hadn't tried it yet, until today. I met my friend at the small office building he works in. I got there about 15 minutes before we were to meet and sat in the atrium/lobby. I picked up three different networks there. Two were encrypted and I couldn't get into them(yet) but the other one was just a Linksys router with no encryption. I thought they surely couldn't be stupid enough to have not changed the user name/password to their router. I typed in the ip address of the router and I entered admin for login and password when prompted. They hadn't changed it! I could see all the clients on their network(including me), and I'm sure I could have caused a lot of mischief had I been so inclined. All I did, though, was use some of their bandwidth to surf the internet. Kind of cool, but at the same time kind of stupid on their part.

Last edited by Alvis; 10-22-03 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-22-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use my Palm PDA at work all the time. They didn't think to encrypt their router either.
Old 10-22-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have not encrypted mine also.D-link software does not work that well with my Dell Inspiron 8100 on a Windows Xp Pro machine.Thinking of getting a new card!But D-link drivers are not the best and also thier support.
But I am just connected to the local printers and not to the other machines.I still use cable to get connected to the network when I need to do backup and share files.Otherwise the internet and printing is all I need at the office.
Old 10-22-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
hacker! i'm reporting you to the cops