Reload this Page >

Macintosh questions

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Macintosh questions

Old 10-16-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Macintosh questions

I am doing a speech on computers for school, however, since I'm not in the Mac world, I need some help with Mac Facts.

1. Are macs upgradable (software, hardware, addons)? Or do you have to buy a whole new computer if you want to get a faster processor?

2. How abundant is mac software compared to PC software?

I'm sure I'll think of more soon, thanks to all who will help.
Old 10-16-03, 01:03 PM

1. Macs are upgradeable, for a cost of course. I purchased a G4 cube in 1999, and am still using it today with no problems. I've purchased more memory but do not need a faster processor for what i need it for. I've also upgraded from os9 to osx, along with millions of other mac users.

2. There is very little MAC software available compared to PC software. If you go into any Target, Wal-Mart, or KMart you will not see any MAC software on the shelves. Mainly the only way to purchase mac software is online or at a Mac store or reseller.
Old 10-16-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
1. Processors are upgradable. I have a 350 Mhz G3 computer that i got like 4 years ago. i could buy a 800 Mhz G3 or a 500 Mhz G4 and just pop out my processor and pop in the new one and everything would be faster. You can upgrade g4 computer with chips from the new g5s because the motherboards are different. There are limitations just like in the PC world (can put a 2 Ghz AMD in a 3 year old Dell).

2. There is less mac software. There is a lot of redundant PC software, though. i saw this on a different forum, someone said "macs may only have 10 FTP programs and PCs have 100, but if there are only one or two good ones, it doesnt matter".
The problem would be with specialized software written for PCs would have no mac alternative. For most things you are fine, unless you want to play games, PCs get a lot more games and it usually takes time for the good ones to get ported to mac.
Old 10-16-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what about addons? Is it possible to put a new sound card, cd-rom, or firewire card into a mac? Or do you have to use external versions?
Old 10-16-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally posted by Joxer
what about addons? Is it possible to put a new sound card, cd-rom, or firewire card into a mac? Or do you have to use external versions?
Depends on the mac (much like a PC). Towers have AGP and PCI slots, either 1 or 2 (usually 1) CD-ROM bays, and space for internal drives.
Old 10-16-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
Alright here it goes...

1) Yeah they are upgradable, here's two stories for you.

a) In 1996 I bought a Performa 6400, it had a PowerPC 603, 180 Mhz, 16 MB of RAM, a 1.6 G hard drive, an 8x CD-Rom and a Meg of video RAM on the mo-bo. Over the next 4 years I had upgraded the processor to a G3/400, gone to 136 MB of RAM, added a 4 MG video card, pulled the modem and replaced it with a Ethernet Card, and replaced the HD with a 20 G Maxtor.

b) I bought a stock G4/450 back in the Fall of 1999. Since then I've added a G4/800 processor, a 20 G hard drive inside, an 80 G and 10 G externally via Firewire, a new video card (so that I can run two displays), plus a PCI fan, second Firewire Card... and I'm thinking of pulling the DVD-Rom and replacing it DVD-RW.

My mac has been the easiest thing in the world to upgrade. There are tons of sites that can help you upgrade your Mac: www.xlr8yourmac.com | www.zone6400.com are the two I consult.

2) Software: I'm a design professor and everything we use at our school can easily be purchased for both the Mac and PC: Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Faslh, Fireworks, Office, Powerpoint, Excel, Quark, Maya, Cinema 4D and a slew of others. While there are some sets that are platform specific (Final Cut Pro v Premiere; DVD Studio Pro v Encore DVD; Audition v Soundtrack) you can get what you are looking for.

As far as games go, the PC is stronger, but you can still find some for the Mac.

I agree with DaveNinja that alot of the software available for the PC is redundant, but you get what works for you.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-16-03, 02:56 PM
Suspended

Check out macrumors.com. They have a ton of info and more Apple nuts than you can count.

1) Macs are the same as PC, aside from the different processor and OS.

2) In rare cases, the software company would put both the Mac and PC version on the same disc. But the amount of PC only software far out shadows that of Mac.
Old 10-16-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Goldberg74
b) I bought a stock G4/450 back in the Fall of 1999. Since then I've added a G4/800 processor
How did you upgrade it to 800? I have this exact G4, and would be happy to do it to mine.
Old 10-16-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Check www.xlr8yourmac.com for upgrade info. they have links to OWC upgrade ships for sale.

iTunes is now on windows along with the itunes store.
Old 10-16-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how wide is the range of products (hardware) for mac? is it like software, where there isn't as many brands to select from?
Old 10-16-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spaceboy: This is what I got... GigaDesigns G4/800... its only $260 now, I paid $350 for mine about 7 months ago...

Joxer: This isn't a personal attack or anything of the sort, but you seem pretty niave as far as computers go... but then again, most folks are when it comes to Apple Computers. What class is this for? What grade/course is it?

To answer your previous question, about 5 years ago, when Steve Jobs took the helm of Apple of again, he killed all the license for third parties to build machine using the PowerPC processor. Quickly companies like Power Computing and Umax halted production of their 'clones' as we called them, and restorted to other ventures. Since then, only Apple Computer has sole control over their hardware.

The have a variety of types of computers ranging from desktops, to all-in-one to portables. Take a look at the www.apple.com site and see for your self.

Currently you can get G5 Towers, iMacs, eMacs, iBooks, PowerBooks, iPod and Xserves... take your pick, and customize it as well!

Good luck on your speech.
Old 10-16-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a speech for Public Speaking (freshman college)

and I'll admit it. I am very niave when it comes to macs, I worked with a mac in grade school, and then again in the early 90s and that was it. I'm a PC man. BTW, Goldberg, thank you so much for all of the info, this will come in handy
Old 10-16-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're welcome Joxer... knock 'em dead!

P.S. My youngest bro is a freshman in college too... (and he loves his eMac!).
Old 10-17-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Goldberg74
Spaceboy: This is what I got... GigaDesigns G4/800... its only $260 now, I paid $350 for mine about 7 months ago...
Thanks, I think I'll pick this up. I was going to sell my g4, and pick up a new powerbook (wanting to sell my g4 tower, get a powerbook, then sell my dell laptop, and get a pc tower)

However, I decided against it. I'm gonna try to wait until they get some G5 powerbooks or something..
Old 10-21-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey Joxer... how did the report go?
Old 10-21-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it went pretty good, except that I forgot a thesis statement, so I had to make one up while I was giving the speech. So that threw me completely off and I got lost at the end. But then I showed the "Crash Different" video done by Hunter Cressel and I think that made everything better, well, everyone was laughing, so I guess it was ok.