Reload this Page >

Help, Homepage Hijacked

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help, Homepage Hijacked

Old 09-08-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Help, Homepage Hijacked

Usually my homepage in IE is set to DVDTalk. But some evil malware has hijacked it and set it to a stupid search site, that everything it can find is advertising.

I know how to change "homepage" in the IE5.5 Tools|Options menu and have done so. Everytime I restart computer, the evil malware changes it back, so there is a script somewhere I can't find.

I have Spybot S&D. It found and removed one thing, but that didn't affect problem. It (in advanced mode) shows all the pages registered as start pages in browser and allows you to change them. I did that, but again script just overwrites whatever I do.

Anybody have experience with these, helpful suggestions?
Old 09-08-03, 06:27 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
There is a thread in here from last week. You should be able to find it searching for "homepage".
Old 09-08-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks. I'm reading through the links. Surfer bar is not the specific one I've got. I think it is 'Global Finder", also I have Windows ME not XP, but maybe I'll find something in there that helps.
Old 09-08-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, searching on Google, "Global Finder" is a similar but different problem. There are threads on removing it. I'm a little nervous about registry edits and want to read this real careful before I do anything.

If anyone else has this malware, first couple of threads I've found on removal.
http://www.computing.net/windowsme/w...rum/38314.html

http://www.computing.net/security/ww...orum/6234.html

Edit: Fixed (pilot) error in 2nd link. It has reference to CWS Shredder mentioned below.

Another useful page: http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/cws/

Last edited by OldDude; 09-08-03 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-08-03, 07:26 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Can you point me to the registry edits? I don't have a problem with them and I can look them over.
Old 09-08-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm free. The wicked witch is dead

Computer works so much better

If anybody else has this, the second link I posted mentions a tool, CWS Shredder which does this automatically, and gives a link to download it. Be sure to read the whole page first as there are several variants of the problem (besides Global Finder), and some versions of the Shredder. I got rid of the hijack, and the other symptom the shredder site mentions of slow typing in forms is gone.

Last edited by OldDude; 09-08-03 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-08-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

X, thanks for tip. It hadn't occured to me that other forums would have links on these hijacker apps. The other one here wasn't directly helpful, but it started me down a search path.
Old 09-13-03, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy, is this damn "Global Finder.com Hijacking" annoying!

I've been infected of late as well.

But, thanks to the many FREE software spyware downloads, you can keep the darn Global-Finder annoying invasion from re-occurring.

I've used Ad-Aware & SpyBot at least 15 times each to try & rid my PC of this doggone POS thing!! *arggggggggghhhhhhhhh!*

But it kept re-setting the homepage every 24 hours. Someone on another forum claims it's set up to "reinfect" exactly every 24 hours. Sounds about right too.

It gets in on re-boots & then proceeds to slow your IE browser to an absolute crawl! How annoying is that!!?? (VERY, I dare say...esp. with these HT Forum sites, when scrolling l-o-n-g pages of text/images. It really slows down Forum pages, and text-box writing.)

Hopefully, these a**-holes from Global-Finder.com (whatever the hell that is) will be run out of town on a rail very soon!

FYI.......If anybody's still having trouble wiping out this dreaded homepage-hijacking parasite/worm, here's some additional information that may prove very handy, including a really nice FREE download, StartPageGuard, which "locks" your homepage, so Global-Finder, or any other unwanted site, can't just get in and "take over" your homepage and your system. .........

Start Page Guard

Info & Help re. "Global-Finder parasite"

Last edited by davidvp; 09-13-03 at 03:07 AM.
Old 09-14-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spybot did nothing. I don't have Ad Aware, but one of the forums I referenced said it did nothing (both may have updated by now). CWS Shredder also referenced above worked like champ; no trouble since I used it (I trust you noticed my "happy dance" above).

Reading the saga from the guy who wrote CWS Shredder, this thing had many variants. "Global Finder" may be an innocent victim, now thoroughly hated by people who think they are responsible. They might be, but I'm no longer sure they are. I think the guy who wrote this malware just sent you there after he was done playing with you.